Advice----electric pump flooded carb 1965 NYer 413

emmd61

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have not flooded a carb and intake before and appreciate any advice. I wired a electric fuel pump and it flooded the carb. I did not attempt to start the engine since it was a lot of fuel.

Generally, should I let the carb dry out for several days?

Should I check the floats on the carb since the carb was completely flooded?

Any advice appreciated. Arthur
135440540_205894331185040_1741673985277582438_n.jpg
135811029_827953574427673_279963184956519428_n.jpg
135811029_827953574427673_279963184956519428_n.jpg
135900711_3753140808041414_8998217496863010285_n.jpg

136155485_225351969085783_1930228051629920204_n.jpg

your pictures wont expand so i cant see whats doing, but how flooded? like is the block full with fuel? use a flashlight not a match . .

at the fuel inlet of (most?) carbs is a little pressure springy thingy and takes only like 5psi to open. some could even be driven by float bowl level hell i dunno about every kind of carb ever.
but at the inlet is usually a flapper / valve/ something to help not overfull the bowls.

what kind of pump did you slap on here and did you put a pressure regulator if needed?

try not to die -

- saylor

if its FULL you maybe should pull the coil wire and all spark plugs so you dont spark anything, then bump the motor a few times. outdoors.

you may want to livestream it.

Stock carb for 65 NYer. Will take carb apart and inspect. I do have a pressure regulator and will place that on fuel line to carb. I agree about preventing an inadvertent spark:thankyou:

Arthur,

It looks like the float needle in the carb might be stuck open and clogged up with junk allowing too much fuel into the engine. The float could also be bad and sinking instead of floating. If it wasn't a massive amount of fuel I would wait a day and try to start it up. You should pull the oil dipstick and see if it's overfilled and smells like gasoline.

There a few ways to "unstuck" a float needle. Tapping the carb with a small hammer where the fuel enters the carb (where the float needle is usually located) can loosen it and allow it to close and meter fuel. Taking the top off the carb and removing it to clean it will be the best bet tho.

If the fuel pump has too much pressure it can overcome the float and force fuel into the carb. If that the case, you will need a pressure regulator as mentioned by Saylor. Is this new pump one of the clickity clack pumps? They usually don't need a pressure regulator.

Good luck.

Did the carburetor ever work Normally before this incident. Was the electric pump just put on? First try to To run engine with it?

don’t bump the starter. Remove the Spark plugs first. Unplug the ballast resistor so there is no spark. and then crank it to clear cylinders.
You need to check the fuel pressure that pump is putting out. Needs to be under 6 psi.

Hi All,

I have not flooded a carb and intake before and appreciate any advice. I wired a electric fuel pump and it flooded the carb. I did not attempt to start the engine since it was a lot of fuel.

Generally, should I let the carb dry out for several days?

Should I check the floats on the carb since the carb was completely flooded?

Any advice appreciated. ArthurView attachment 427983View attachment 427984View attachment 427984View attachment 427985

View attachment 427986

One question no one has asked: Why did you install an electric fuel pump rather than just go with a stock Carter mechanical pump? Are you trying to solve some kind of fuel-related problem? The stock pump is hard to beat.

quick! someone get me a vanilla shake and a straw. there is science to learn!

and yes it must be a vanilla shake.

As noted, if the car was running normally before the electric fuel pump was installed, you either broke some crud loose and fouled the needle valve seat or the regulator is set to too high of pressure. If the carb is original and has not been rebuilt recently, I would start there after verifying that the fuel pressure is correct. Modern moonshine blend fuels eat up the solder seams on the carb floats, when you remove them check them for fuel intrusion by shaking the float(s). If there is fuel in the float, replace it and install a fresh carb kit. For a stock engine with a stock carb, you are better off staying with the factory Carter fuel pump, they are very reliable and put out plenty of volume, also as noted. Avoid any of the China Crap pumps sold at Autobone or Carcrap as those pumps are junk. If you are running moonshine fuel be sure to also replace all the rubber fuel line hoses as the blended fuel also destroys the factory rubber hoses.

Dave

Thanks for the info!!! Car was running real good prior to this incident today. I went back and looked closer and appears there is another electric fuel pump already bypassing the stock fuel pump (which is crusty and actually has wasp nest remanent coming out of one of its ports). I will re hook up the first electric fuel pump since it was working well. This is a parts car that is loaded.....but I may want to restore it. Its got buckets, AC, pw, pl, cruise, head rests, am/fm radio, 413. I was going to use it as parts car for my 65 wagon. Unfortunately, title is lost and NC is a pain in rump to get cars retitled.

Back