Advice on intake manifolds

mopar Joe 65

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an edelbrock manifold but not sure what to go with ? Its for my 383 the two iam looking at are # 2186 or # 7186 also will they fit without hood clearance problems ? Its on a 65 plymouth fury 3. I will enclose picture. Any advice is appreciated.

Screenshot_2018-09-30-15-39-25.png

Screenshot_2018-09-30-15-38-24.png

Tell the guys your setup now and future plans. They will help you.

The Performer should fit with no issues, stock type manifold. The RPM needs the linkage bracket modified to work, and is a step up in performance.

Don’t know if it will fit under the hood but the RPM intake is a great manifold. Fits under the hood of my ‘73 with no problems.

As mentioned, will need some other goodies to make it work.

The RPM (7186) will need the linkage kit as mentioned above, fuel line modification and a carb with an electric or manual choke as it has no heat riser passage. You should also block or remove the heat riser when going with this manifold. The RPM is a better choice in terms of performance if you intend to or have already built the engine significantly. If you are just upgrading from a 2BBL to a 4BBL carb and do not intend to do anything else, go with the 2186 as this will be a straight bolt on.

Dave

The basic Performer is very possibly a more refined version of the original Edelbrock DP4B intake from the later '60s. The one that was in the Chrysler Direct Connection program, but also had a Chrysler part number cast into it so it could be used in the NHRA stock classes. The 440 version was CH4B.

The stated power band might go to 5500rpm, but with the right cam (think the old Direct Connection Street HEMI cam), a Holley 780cfm 3310 carb, headers, and a good exhaust system, it'll go to 6000rpm. CAR LIFE road tested a Road Runner with that combination and it got into "HEMI territory" in quarter mile perfoermance . . . with a 4.10 axle ratio.

The Performer RPM can be a bit taller, with a more direct orientation toward the head ports, for better flow and higher rpm power. Seems like they used to call it "Air Gap" as many non-Chrysler B/RB engines did not have the designed-in "air gap" between the bottom of the plenum and the lifter valley?

The basic Performer will be more "street friendly" for a basic manifold upgrade from stock. The lower rpm can give it better throttle response off idle with stock gears, too. But also have enough flow to make a 284 degree cam work. Torque is what moves the car from stop and accelerates it up to speed. Peak horsepower only happens at higher rpms. In many cases, the higher-torque at lower rpm engine will pass the higher-rpm horsepower motor as it struggles to get through those lower rpm regions on the way to its better "top end rush", which doesn't come soon enough to make up for last ground . . . all other areas of the cars being equal. Add some deep gears and it gets through that lower rpm weak area and into the "top end rush" part of the power band sooner.

Edelbrock used to have a graphic for each manifold so you could compare the carb mounting plate height to the stock manifold in their catalogs. ONE caveat with that is that Holley 4160 and Edelbrock/Carter AFB/AVS carbs are less tall than TQuads, which can also figure into the manifold height situation. PLUS the tallness of the air filter element/case. Might need to use a long bolt for the air cleaner hold-down rather than the supplied carb air cleaner stud, for hood clearance issues, too.

Many times, discretion is the better part of valor in choosing engine parts. I'd go with the basic Performer first. IF and when you do any other upgrades in camshaft AND rear end gears, then the Performer RPM might be more appropriate. You can always put the basic Performer on eBay or similar to sell it later on. Start "smaller" and work upward as necessary can be the best advice here.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have an RPM on my 400 in a 78 New Yorker. It fits under the hood and I used the stock linkage.

20181013_093024.jpg
20181013_090412.jpg
20181013_095944.jpg

I used a Holley Quick Fuel 750 and a 15.5" oval Billet Specialties air cleaner assembly with a K&N filter.

teh weiand action + will bolt on and good to go too and i guess they are talking about the CHY throttle linkage adapto for eddie carbs like #1814 or something its a little plate that goes on the linkage on the carb then you attach your throttle cable to that.

try not to die -

- saylor

Thanks for all the input guys, i might go with the 2186 but was wondering what to do with those ports on each side of the manifold if i dont use the heat riser ? I like the looks of the 7186 better.

The 68 to 70 383 stock HiPo manifold is a good choice, and cheap.
Easy to fit, engineered by Chrysler!
:thumbsup:

As for the heat riser passages . . . in your climate, it might be advisable to leave it open.

When I got my rebuilt Chevy 350 put in my '77 Camaro, one of the key things on that engine were the '86 Corvette factory aluminum cylinder heads. Being that the '86 Corvettes were all Tuned Port Injection FI engines, no head riser ports at all. I didn't worry about that as I'd had some friends (down here in DFW) that regularly blocked the heat riser ports in their Chevy small blocks, as that was what "hot rodders" did. My intake was a Holley Z-LIne intake (single plane with a full plenum divider and the "resonating channel" between #7 and #8 cylinders). Carb is an OEM replacement 9895 Holley 4175.

The first time it finally it hit cold weather, it was obvious that it took a bit longer for the engine to get warmed up, er for the engine's cylinder head heat to migrate into the intake manifold. With EFI, all of the mixture stuff would have been computer controlled, but not with a carb. It indeed was a bit more cold-natured than the prior iron-head open heat riser engine had been. By the way, the heat riser was eliminated as the heads had no related passages.

One improved aspect of the alum heads was that the heater worked sooner! As the aluminum transferred heat better and wasn't quite so much of a heat sink as the iron heads were.

I generally like to have my carbs set up to be on base idle within about three blocks of driving from my driveway and initial cold starts. NGK V-power plugs helped that, or regular plugs modified in that orientation. NGK Iridiums are now in it. Once the engine fires, oil pressure comes up, the car moves. A quick pat of the accel pedal for a bit of pump shot will keep it running, if it appears to falter. NO letting it run in the driveway to warm up, unless the glass is iced-up AND the car is locked.

Therefore, in the extended cold season y'all have up there, compared to DFW, I'd recommend you keep the heat riser passages open rather than blocked. You might still remove the valve or tack it open, or even get a good rebuild kit and THEN ream the bushings for the shaft so the shaft moves freely in them. On our '66 383, the valve would usually hang 1/2 open, which tended to cause no problems on the single-exhaust engine. On my '70 Monaco 383 4bl dual exhaust car, I tried to keep it working, too, for general principles. I knew what the valve was for and why it was there. The car ran good as it was. What really was great about that Code "N" 383 was how easily it sought to move the speedo needle toward "triple digits" with just a nudge past 1/2 throttle. Making those gloriously happy engine sounds as it did!

On the later EFI Chevy heads, it was mentioned that without the heat riser passages, the exhaust flow could be better planned for in the port configurations. Rather than the added turbulence from the heat riser passage configuration and flows. I suspect some of those things would still be at play with a cylinder head that was configured for heat riser passages even if the passages were blocked-off at the intake manifold gasket. The reason those passages existed in the first place was for cold-start drivability via better mixture distribution in that operational mode AND at cruise conditions. For a "full-race" motor, even one on the street, not having good cold-start drivability is not really as much of an issue as getting to the finish line first. Getting it decently warmed up enough to "run" is just part of the equation for that type of motor. NO need to put up with such things on a street motor with a milder cam, to me. Much less in 28 degree F ambient temp and 25mph wind!

To me, all things considered, I'd leave it open. Others might have different sensitivities to these things, which I understand.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here's the adapter, Edelbrock P/N #1481

IMG_20181021_134644.jpg

Take your rod off your old carb and put it on this piece, hook it up, and drive.

Use the 7186 RPM, best of all the collective years of development. No bad habits unless you drive in the dead of winter north of the Mason Dixon line.

LocuMob said:
Here's the adapter, Edelbrock P/N #1481
Take your rod off your old carb and put it on this piece, hook it up, and drive.
I assume that is for hooking up the original gas linkage to the carb, right?

If I put an Edelbrock Performer Carburetor with manual choke (no electrical choke) on an original intake, will the rod coming from the choke spring well easily connect to the choke shaft on the carb or would I need an adapter for that, too?

Thanks for all the input guys, i might go with the 2186 but was wondering what to do with those ports on each side of the manifold if i dont use the heat riser ? I like the looks of the 7186 better.

On my 65, the RPM cleared the hood enough for a 14x4 filter.
I don't do any cold weather driving, so plugged the crossover as well.
The linkage required a couple longer bolts and 2 spacers going into the intake, not a big deal.
The intake works well if you have headers or a cam swap. I wouldn't think it would get as good gains on a stocker with log manifolds.

Thanks again for the info guys, i think iam going with the 7186 and the 650 avs carb. I dont have headers but i have the hp manifolds and duel exhaust. I have a valley pan gasket with the crossover ports blocked off. Is this the right one for this manifold ?
20181021_114820.jpg
20181021_114820.jpg

Usually a good idea to run a fiber type composite gasket on the top side of the embossed metal gasket with an aluminum intake, That keeps the steel gasket material from wearing groves in the soft aluminum material of the intake.

Dave

Thanks Dave, my gasket come with 4 fiber gaskets they say to put one on both sides of the valley pan is that a good idea or not ?

Back