Advice on painting over undercoating (Ful-Thane 2K Urethane-single stage)

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have just undercoated the tire side of my painted inner fenders. I cleaned, degreased, cleaned and scuffed the surface before applying TiteSeal paintable undercoating. After about 3 good coats and following the instructions to wait until completely dry before painting, I am getting ready to top-coat. As in the title, I am using NasonFul-thane 2K SS Urethane (I think used to be Du-pont) to topcoat.
What I cannot find is whether to prime the undercoating first, use adhesion promoter as if you were to paint on plastic, or the undercoating acts like a primer and can be directly top coated. Any experience in this matter or working with 2K paints would be appreciated. I did search the safety data sheets and instructions for the undercoating, pretty vague.
I know there are a few people here with paint experience like @azblackhemi and likely others.
Thank you
Marty
D4A363DB-D623-4944-A04B-BB3BF710082D.jpeg
77CBB3EC-1226-475F-9E25-5F6F99EA80C5.jpeg

Personally I would use a non sanding primer sealer over it first. Preferably a red sealer to make coverage easier. Coverage over black can be tough.

Personally I would use a non sanding primer sealer over it first. Preferably a red sealer to make coverage easier. Coverage over black can be tough.
Perfect thanks for the advice. Good call on the red sealer. I was wondering how well it would cover the black.
Thanks for your input.

Sealer is your friend.
But is sealer really your friend?

I mean, will it help you move? Will it not give you one of the good beers and not the cheap crap they keep for company? Will it fix you up with their wife's friend just to get you laid? Help bury the body?

Somehow I doubt that sealer's commitment to friendship really runs that deep.

Last edited:
But is sealer really your friend?

I mean, will it lend you it help you move? Will it not give you one of the good beers and not the cheap crap they keep for company? Will it fix you up with their wife's friend just to get you laid? Help bury the body?

Somehow I doubt that sealer's commitment to friendship really runs that deep.
It will help cover up some questionable area's, and overlook some dumb mistakes, that's good enough for friendship.
When in doubt seal it up.

The deed is done. I am happy so far. I will look at it tomorrow when it is fully dry.
I found some grey sealer, which is much easier to cover than black.
Since it was a tight area, I used a little Prevail spray system. Mix the paint, pour it in the jar and add the aerosol top. Decent pattern like a regular spray paint can. The paint supplier said to use a little more reducer than you would in a regular spray gun. Seems to work fine.
2AB1E012-ED61-4041-AE16-9240E978FE29.jpeg
EBCC4E12-7E7A-4591-8428-93A2F0EC2F5E.jpeg
8A854067-C020-490F-828A-21A799348CD6.jpeg
EDF7CCEF-F3A1-4370-B5C8-4A09BF509048.jpeg
282B2F9B-19C6-4C13-AE7E-5FC030EA7D73.jpeg

Masking off and tires back on. Supposed to be around 50 degrees by Friday. I may have to take it for a spin.
The metal flake under there may be a little heavier than on the body, and very shiny. It actually still looks wet, but is dry.
It is a wheel well. It will dull down soon enough.
First picture looks like overspray on the wheel trim, but is just a reflection, must be too shiny.
7C4F64B9-8939-468A-B915-D21A38025DD1.jpeg
952B1C63-9FB3-4F11-8FE6-F309778281C0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back