Advice on Roof restoration 1967 Plymouth Fury III

Vexed_Waffle

Reaction score
This is an old story but one I'm now dealing with.

Took off the vinyl top from my 1967 Plymouth Fury III. Only to discover a bondo newspaper filled (around the back window) horror show. Had my auto body friend take out the rear window and we discovered that the previous owner did a cheap and quick newspaper job around it. Front of roof looks to be the same shape.

My auto body bud figures it was a quick bondo fix then new vinyl was thrown over it. Followed by a quick paint job of the car and a quick flip to yours truly.

Had no idea that it was that bad underneath. Lesson learned. There are more horror stories about the car that I won't get into here. It was an ebay purchase 3 years ago that was not what I thought it was going to be. (Long story) So basically I need a patch for around the rear window and front windshield.

Another option would be just to replace the roof. But not many furies locally in my neck of the woods (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada)

I've included pictures below. As you can see its bondo fest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

How can I say this gracefully. I can't. Buy a nice 67 Fury and what you have now is your parts car.

Posted via Topify on Android

My 74 Imperial was just as bad. It can be repaired:

1) remove glass
2) Weld in patches
3) Do finish work (replace glass and vinyl top- that way you don't need to be as perfect with dressing the welds.

Patches are in for beneath the window. Also the worst spots on the roof have been cut out and new sheet metal put in. Just need to figure out how to do above the rear window and the top of the front windshield. Not straight lines so my autobody guy was leery about trying to fabricate a patch and match it in with the curve of the roof. Second option was to find a good roof off of another fury and either cut out the patch needed or replace the entire roof with the good.

I'll try and post pictures of the repair work done so far. Keep the advice coming!

Glad to know there's still hope out there. When I took the vinyl off over winter and saw the damage, well lets just say I had a quick rum and coke after to help dull the pain.

Plenty of hope for you mate, I have a 67 that was a horror story, and being located on the other side of the world from a parts supplier meant the best for me was to take a basic metal working course and get stuck into it!!

I had heaps of real cool rust like this to fix in mine, infact the only good panel on my car was the top of the roof!!

I cant find pics of my repairs to the front window appature, but I tacked in the roof section, then made the window channel section, tacked it together in place, then cut the tack welds and remove the patch and weld it fully out of the car, then weld it back into the car. all my patches were made using a vice, hammers and dollys, various diameter pipes and a homemade folder, you can make quite complex pieces if you break it down into its components, most of the time i start by mocking up with cardboard, then transferring those cardboard templates to sheetmetal and take it from there

I've included the shots of the car. With closer area shots of the car. The patch area needed above and below the window is shown with tape. The right pillar has been patched but apparently there is fiber glass work there and he didn't want to dig too deep into it. Thanks for the support and keep the advice coming! He's tackling more of it this weekend.

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3295.jpgIMG_3296.jpgIMG_3297.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3299.jpgIMG_3300.jpgIMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

Back