After 34 years road-trip with the Polara back to Montana

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just about 34 years ago I drove the ‘68 Polara from Ft. Benton, MT to Loveland, CO. It sat in Colorado for about 20 years before I hauled it back to ND for the restoration. (Restoration thread link at the bottom of my signature).
Now I am on my way from ND to the middle of Montana driving the Polara to a family reunion. There will be many relatives there that remember us pulling up to their houses in this car and all of us piling out for any of the holidays.
There will also be a few that helped put some dents in the fenders.
There should be some good stories.

Packing up.
2124CB31-CE1F-42DA-9873-967232674C75.jpeg

D82E0ADC-6654-4DAD-B649-458493CFA755.jpeg

Trip will be about 750 miles each way. Started out at 80 degrees in Fargo. But fought 40mph winds with them clocked steady at 58mph in Bismarck. Fighting wind for 185 miles to Bismarck was not fun. Was 63 degrees when we hit Bismarck. It’s supposed to slow down tomorrow.
Only 550 more miles tomorrow before we get there.

Just about 34 years ago I drove the ‘68 Polara from Ft. Benton, MT to Loveland, CO. It sat in Colorado for about 20 years before I hauled it back to ND for the restoration. (Restoration thread link at the bottom of my signature).
Now I am on my way from ND to the middle of Montana driving the Polara to a family reunion. There will be many relatives there that remember us pulling up to their houses in this car and all of us piling out for any of the holidays.
There will also be a few that helped put some dents in the fenders.
There should be some good stories.

Packing up.
View attachment 538069

View attachment 538070

I always love a road trip. . . But what are you gonna do with a crab pot in Montana?!?

I always love a road trip. . . But what are you gonna do with a crab pot in Montana?!?

Cook up some Eggs/ omelet in a bag.

Dump your personal serving of raw eggs, cheese, salsa (or any other fixings) in a quart ziplock bag, drop it into boiling water. 7 minutes you have an omelet with no mess.

I may post a help thread, but I am in desperate need of electrical schematic for a 68 polara. Both mine are at home and I don't have an electronic copy.

Starter solenoid did not want to release after starting (not the relay, I think my plunger spring is weak after a good heat soak and will not release the solenoid.
So, I just unhook the negative cable for a second after it starts and the starter disengages. Every thing seemed to work fine. Then this morning when I had to do this, I lost my fuel and temp gauge.
My fuse is good ( I tested it with my ohm meter) but I am not getting power to that one section of my fuse block. I would like to understand what feeds the "inst / lamps" fuse block, so I can start tracing it back. I do have my test light, Ohmmeter, and various jumper wires for trouble shooting.

Thanks John. I did download the '67 dodge and was able to get it printed out. It looks close to mine. I am wondering if I fried my voltage regulator with the hot disconnect. It goes to the key switch and feeds the voltage limiter. I need to go out with my test light and start tracking it down.
I do have a new Solenoid and plunger, but not an easy road fix

It’s my aftermarket 6v dash regulator power In but nothing out. It is an electronic regulator. So maybe find at a part’s store. W don’t remember where I got this one. Would be nice to have a gas gauge throughout the Montana plains with gas stations 200 miles away from each other.

Great news that you have located the issue.
Might just have to stop in every town and fill her up.

Thursday was a day from hell.
After figuring out the dash voltage regulator, I hit the road. I found one in stock at Great Falls, and found family to pick it up for me so I can have gauges on the way back. However when we got to Glendive, MT. We filled with fuel and went through the drive through to get lunch when it stalled. It was like it was vapor locking which it had never done before, plus it wasn’t that hot. I let it cool down a little, filled the fuel bowl, it started up ran rough for a few seconds and then smoothed out. I attributed it to idling in the drive through lane after running 200 miles, which was odd as that hadn’t happened before. Ran good for about 150 miles and then I tried to pass someone on hills and it started sputtering. It sputtered for a while and then smoothed out. I was starting to think bad gas. It ran good for a while longer and then started sputtering when going up hills. I thought maybe I had water in the gas and with the bad gas my mileage dropped. Anyway it quit on a narrow highway, an pulled it halfway off the road. At least not a lot of traffic. So since I didn’t have a gauge I figured it was empty. Finally a couple traveling from NJ stopped to see if I needed help. I was 18 miles from a very small town. (The next closest town was 80 miles.). I had slight cell/internet service and found gas (Good hi octane no ethanol). Filled the gas can bought some heet and Sea Foam and talked the NJ couple into driving me 18 miles back. Dumped the gas in Filled my water bottle back up with gas and filled the float bowl. Started right up started driving, then stuttered again. Dumped more fuel in, thinking I need to get the old gas out of the lines. Started again and then it drove fine the 18 miles to the small town gas station.
9FA7D9CC-84EF-4B02-8B75-F0633505AB5B.jpeg

Filled up there, got about 1/4 mile down the road and stalled again. Dumped some gas in the bowl and took off. No issues until I stopped to fill again. It would start, run for about a minute or two and then stall. Dump gas in the bowl and be on my merry way. Remember this all was happening with my starter not wanting to disengage. So after every start I had to quickly disconnect the negative battery cable and then re-install. Finally made it to my Mom’s house around 10pm that night.

My top three things I worry way, way too much about: planes, sharks and breaking down in the middle of nowhere with an old car in a "Hills have Eyes" backdrop. Hope you are safe and sound on the way back home.

Spoiler alert. The saga will continue.
I think the 5 year warranty on all my new parts expired at the same time.

And it will be sometime before my wife will go on another road trip with the car.

Back