Aftermarket Gauges

Maymarmag

Reaction score
Thinking about installing some aftermarket Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Ammeter in my 69 Newport.

I am not going to cut the dash. Wanted to see what you guys have done and what gauges you have used.

Any insight would be welcome.

Thanks,

Pete

I'd call Dakota Digital for a custom in dash replacement where you supply the template for a plug n play mounting.
Like they do for Chevys.

digital_dash_system.jpg

On the cheap....

All the auto retailers sell them $40-$50 a set in black or white face.

61NfSUDuBjL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd cut the dash.. Actually I was thinking modifying the cowl for some gauges. I haven't gotten the shape I think it would need to flow with the shape of the car yet. So I'm undecided. Besides I'm happy to be away from the welder and angle grinder for a bit.

On the cheap....

61NfSUDuBjL._SL1500_.jpg

These gauges are actually quite versatile. You can just mount them as shown or remove each gauge and install it separately, but everybody already knows that. :laughing7:

My personal plan is to either install an oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge in my custom built console or, if the gauges are small enough that I won't have to cut my dash, install them in a homemade "delete plate" where my AM radio used to be. I have a stereo head unit that is a little too large to fit in the radio opening, so it will go in my console too.

Of course, other options may be to invert the gauges in their cluster (shown above) and make a pod to fit it, then mount it on top of the dash or even on the hood.

Make a pod from fibreglass, or similar material, and mount them on the inside of the driver's side "A" Pillar. If you really want to get creative and are installing a scoop, you could mount the gauges in the rear of the scoop.

Just a few ideas, some of them may be way out there, but I guess it would depend on if you want your car to stay close to original or if you're going custom or restomod.

I'm going to assume that you probably want to stay closer to a more conventional look. :)

Yup. That was the FIRST thing to go in. Watching my fuselage burn on the side of the road is a horrible thought.

You probably already know...

If the extinguisher doesn't put out an electrical fire...disconnect the negative battery post or cut the cable. Cheaper to replace a cable then watch your classic burn to the ground.

You probably already know...

If the extinguisher doesn't put out an electrical fire...disconnect the negative battery post or cut the cable. Cheaper to replace a cable then watch your classic burn to the ground.

You make a good argument for a battery disconnect :). Another thing added to the to-do list. thx.

I'll going to do it to both of 78's.

Also doubles as an anti-theft device....

I've often thought about putting in a quick disco switch also, probably will at some point. Makes lots of sense, and not a ton of cash to install it. Good investment.

On the cheap....

61NfSUDuBjL._SL1500_.jpg

On a 65 plymouth fury they fit in the factory opening where the gauges were on the dash. Just the rounded corners don't fit very well but slides right in! LOL. Ask me how I know that one!

I'd like to see a better picture of that dash. Looks to be a very clean job.

Back