aftermarket head unit in glovebox

looking at installing an aftermark single din head unit into my glovebox (66 fury), anyone done this before?

thinking about something similar to this

Glovebox Radio Mount Single DIN Blank Plate High Qualilty | eBay
Sure in the 80's... 31 chevy street rod... we tucked the speakers behind the interior fabric as well... stealth but sounded nice, not meant to vibrate the car.

Today you could stick it in the trunk and use a remote... then your glove box liner will survive too. Small thin speakers may fit under your seats and the wiring can be easily hidden... I hate chopped up interiors for the sake of stereo's that will go out of style long before the car will.

Today you could stick it in the trunk and use a remote... then your glove box liner will survive too. Small thin speakers may fit under your seats and the wiring can be easily hidden... I hate chopped up interiors for the sake of stereo's that will go out of style long before the car will.

i did not think of the boot.

my glovebox liner is very average, but useable still.

might look at the trunk now you mention it!

Do guys still mount 6/9's in the rear deck anymore?

Many cars had the door panels cut for speakers, no going back from that. I've also seen some nice floor mounted units, with and without speakers in them, custom made mostly but I'm sure there are some on the market.

I never heard of this. I'm adding this to my list. I mostly listen to my iHeartRadio app anyways so the Bluetooth capability would be great.
There's a few guys on here that have done the conversion and used this vendor. They seem to be happy.

I have an older conversion radio in mine and it works well.

I had planned to install one in the glove box of my '66. Ordered the radio before I removed the liner, it didn't fit. I decided it was a sign to convert the am, and I returned the new radio.

If you do decide to do this order a head unit without a CD player they are shallow enough to fit.

If you find an am radio, my recommendation, remember it just need to be complete not working, because they remove the guts of the radio. So I bet you could find a cheap non working model.

Here is where I discussed it earlier in the year. Aftermarket radio hidden mounting option

Last edited:
I'd take it a step further... What gets played on the radio is essentially garbage unless you listen to newstalk (which I do, but I don't think that is allowed in many places). That format sounds just as good on a 2 Watt AM radio, plus it gives the car a more authentic vibe if you can find the rare AM station that plays music.

If I want tunes or podcast, it's cellphone + bluetooth speakers. No car radio hackage required. No big dollars either. Big media is dead.

I'd take it a step further... What gets played on the radio is essentially garbage unless you listen to newstalk (which I do, but I don't think that is allowed in many places). That format sounds just as good on a 2 Watt AM radio, plus it gives the car a more authentic vibe if you can find the rare AM station that plays music.

If I want tunes or podcast, it's cellphone + bluetooth speakers. No car radio hackage required. No big dollars either. Big media is dead.

I do satellite radio. An XM tuner hooked to a equalizer so I can adjust tone levels and then to a 4 channel amplifier and an amplified bass speaker. I can also use it for a MP3 player or my I-phone.

Amplifiers are under the back seat, and it plays through speakers at the stock locations.

The radio in my car is a very old conversion and it works well, but it doesn't have the input/output that I wanted. One of these days, I'll send it off for an update. Then everything will run through it and the existing EQ and amplifiers.

Just to be clear where I am at... my latest purchase... $11.99 free shipping...
s-l1600.jpg

For the NYB... the little battery powered one didn't do the job... For Stan... it currently contains Motley Crue, but Cat Stevens and Billy Joel are along for the ride as well... I actually found a use for the tapes I've been storing since the mid 90's... I may have to buy some 8 tracks... anyone got some Arlo Guthrie or (of course) Johnny Cash they want rid of (cheap of course).

Just to be clear where I am at... my latest purchase... $11.99 free shipping...
s-l1600.jpg

For the NYB... the little battery powered one didn't do the job... For Stan... it currently contains Motley Crue, but Cat Stevens and Billy Joel are along for the ride as well... I actually found a use for the tapes I've been storing since the mid 90's... I may have to buy some 8 tracks... anyone got some Arlo Guthrie or (of course) Johnny Cash they want rid of (cheap of course).

I remember those adaptors from radio shack.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

for what its worth, i ended up installing it in the glovebox.

this is nearly completed, pretty happy with how it came up.

radio.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

for what its worth, i ended up installing it in the glovebox.

this is nearly completed, pretty happy with how it came up.
Looks good... and the dash gets to stay pretty...:thumbsup:

Back