Aftermarket radio mounting

Andrew R

Reaction score
OK so my 66 Newport did not have a factory stereo...
There is NO WAY I'm going to cut into the dash as it is in perfect condition. I'm considering mounting
a single DIN unit right under the ashtray as there is a few small holes from the factory there, I'm looking for some sort of "pod" however all I'm
coming up with is brackets that look, well bad...-either that or some sort of
center console maybe? Any advice?

532507_3582629704299_532875938_n.jpg

On my 68 Monaco I put a more modern stereo into the ashtray location. A sheet metal housing was fashioned and painted it black so it was discreet. There was no need to make any modification of the factory housing. I've since pulled the stereo due to electrical issues. Not sure if this idea would work with your car.

The last time I mounted a modern radio in an antique car, I got the smallest one i could find and put it in the glove compartment.

I did the same thing in my 65 Coronet. I used a Kenwood that still left enough room to store my car paper work and some maps. I didn't want to cut into any interior panels for speakers, (it's a convertible), so I mounted a pair of 5" round three way's in wooden boxes, lined with foam and carpeted the outside. I used 10' of speaker wire for each speaker, routed under the carpet and passenger seat. Now I can place the speakers on the conv boot or outside the car to enjoy music where ever.

In my 69 300 I added a MP3 converter that is powered by the original am radio. It works like a radio station signal and is mounted out of sight under the dash. Not stereo but still sounds good through a three way 6 X 9 mounted in place of the original rear speaker.

I've got mine in a console, but it looks pretty crappy. The problem with that dash is the way it curves under. Anything far enough back to look decent is running into the heater box, and pretty much impossible to reach. I think the ideal set up would be to get one with a remote, and hide the head unit in the glove box or under the seat, or just put an amp in the trunk with a wire coming out somewhere to plug an MP3 player into.

I did the same thing in my 65 Coronet. I used a Kenwood that still left enough room to store my car paper work and some maps. I didn't want to cut into any interior panels for speakers, (it's a convertible), so I mounted a pair of 5" round three way's in wooden boxes, lined with foam and carpeted the outside. I used 10' of speaker wire for each speaker, routed under the carpet and passenger seat. Now I can place the speakers on the conv boot or outside the car to enjoy music where ever.

In my 69 300 I added a MP3 converter that is powered by the original am radio. It works like a radio station signal and is mounted out of sight under the dash. Not stereo but still sounds good through a three way 6 X 9 mounted in place of the original rear speaker.

Good question and I like your idea you used on your '65. Do you have any problem with the radio getting too hot in the glove box? Funny thing is I did something similar in MG, mounting some speakers in a box, but I threw away the speaker boxes I used. They were pre-made black PVC for 6X9 speakers. I put down some Velcro to keep them in place 90% of the time, and then could move them if I wanted too, and nothing was permanent.

I don’t think I am going to install another radio at this time but I will route all the wires now that I have an empty interior. I like the idea too, to use the AM radio as an on off switch for the new radio. Cool idea.

Do you have any problem with the radio getting too hot in the glove box? I like the idea too, to use the AM radio as an on off switch for the new radio. Cool idea.[/QUOTE]

No problem with overheating. It also has a remote control but the metal glove box door blocks the signal. No big deal as the only feature I use is the "AUX" for the MP3 player.
I built my speaker boxes with 1/4" plywood.... nice and heavy. Lined with styrofoam inside and auto grade pile carpet on the outside, they sound great.

Here is a link to a source for the MP3 converter. You will need a working radio in your car to operate it. The one I have in my 69 300 still suffers with "frequency wonder" and sometimes needs fine tuning while driving. I will also need to install a aditional suppressor somewhere to reduce the engine noise in the system.
It is cool to plug in the MP3 player and adjust volumn & tone through the radio. I thought I would need a second speaker in the dash but the 3 way 6X9 in the rear works just great.

Here is a link to a MP3 adaptor supplier
http://www.rediscoveradio.com/index.html

radio in dash (Large).jpg

speaker (Large).jpg

Last edited:
i ran an ipod that attached directly to an amp i had. I mounted the amp under the front seat and ran two enclosed 6x9" speakers sitting on the rear floor area. eventually i will mount speakers in the original holes but its a reasonable option. my Ipod has an fm reciever as well so i can listen to the radio.

Back