Aftermarket wheels?

SeanD

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the rusty Cragar wires on this 66 New Yorker with something a bit more modern-sized and styled. I like the Mustang eleanor-style wheels, in probably an 18. Are 9 inch wheels possible in the back with the skirts? Anyone done anything like this? Pics of your experiences are greatly appreciated!
Yes, I like the factory hubcaps, but I'm only 35...

When it comes to custom wheels, what one person loves on a particular car, another will hate. You just gotta go with what you like best. Is your car a two door or a four door? Two doors seem to be a little more forgiving when it comes to wheel styles, IMO.

HPIM0840.jpg

3636281679_cb78869e57_z.jpg

2811764766_19508ba16d_z.jpg

HA0412-124025_1.jpg

9011274184_7fa1714bc8_z.jpg

f2cb754895c753e5e231388aa92519c9.jpg

8567097599_97378d588b_z.jpg

TT_2_TORQ-L__51715_zoom.jpg

stockton-wheel-tq-5.jpg

Some peoples choices. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste. Personally, I wouldn't cut a car to put wheels on it. Some do, I wouldn't.

I'm not sure if anything wider than 8" will fit, but someone else will chime in on that.
mustang_1_big.jpg

Eleanor Wheels on a '66 New Yorker.......Hmmn???

i'd want to do wheels too but can't find the offset i want. but i'm fine with steelies and 14 inch hubcaps

In before the haters arrive.

What style are you going for? Personally I'd hate to see something that's become iconic on a Ferd on a Mopar. That being said, it is your car and I prefer aftermarket wheels to factory any day.

I'm looking to replace the rusty Cragar wires on this 66 New Yorker with something a bit more modern-sized and styled. I like the Mustang eleanor-style wheels, in probably an 18. Are 9 inch wheels possible in the back with the skirts? Anyone done anything like this? Pics of your experiences are greatly appreciated!
Yes, I like the factory hubcaps, but I'm only 35...

Whenever a question concerning the choice of wheels comes up, I usually recommend the Magnum 500 wheels. I think they just "look right" - especially when mounted an a slabby C-Body.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar/chrysler-magnum.html

i'm a weird one, not a fan of the american style wheels you see them every where, now if they had turbo wheels or some light weight wheels on 'em i'll be impressed

IMG_20150928_150421747.jpg

This is the best picture of the cragars that are on it. It helped a little to put thin white walls on it, but they are rusty and flaking around the rim. Thanks for all those pics! I've had almost no luck simply googling for them. It's good know that my car would look less-than-awesome to me with the boss 338s, because I've been thinking about just settling for them. There is a wheel on ebay that I'd like to find in the (what I think is the) correct 18x8 with 0" offset.
These:
s-l500.jpg

I like the gray cast look. I can only find 18x9 and then up to 22x11. If I thought I could fit 9s in the back behind the skirts I'd pull the trigger on a set.

IMG_20150928_145505476.jpg

IMG_20150928_150421747.jpg

I usually recommend the Magnum 500 wheels. I think they just "look right" - especially when mounted an a slabby C-Body.

I liked these when I first saw them until I saw pics of cars with them. I very much appreciate the retro-nostalgia of them, but they just don't look right to me.
bandit_machinedblack_white.jpg

I can't visualize a New Yorker with mag style wheels. Especially the ones with the gross offset.
300 2 dr, maybe...

mustang_1_big.jpg

These are not "Eleanor" style wheels. They are fashioned after the iconic Halibrand wheels used on Cobra's and other race cars of the 60's.

Slabs need Magnum 500 type wheels, fuseloge needs the C body road wheels. All others.....
:icon_puke_r: .... JMHO

I want to put new wheels on my 68 Plymouth one of these days. My hope is to go with a Magnum 500 style wheel but in a slightly larger size - maybe up to as much as 18 inches (after that they just get too out of proportion imho). I figure that will keep the car fitted with a wheel from its era - which I consider the most appropriate/like the look of the best - while giving a nod to the modern trend. JMHO as mentioned by others.

I was going to put these on my '71 Newport 2-dr,
rwd_118.jpg

but I decided on different wheels in the end. I think these would look good on a rounded car like a Fusie though. I agree that what looks good on a Fusie won't necessarily look good on a slab. I prefer something kind of angular looking, like the five spoke wheels, for a slab.

The wheels on your car actually do suit the style of the car, IMO. It's too bad that they are rusty. I guess re-chroming wouldn't be practical. :(

Wheels are truly a matter of personal taste but it's the overall look that really matters. If you want the wheels to be the highlight of how the car looks pick any fancy wheel and they will stand out leaving the visuals of the rest of the car in the background. If you have a theme for the car picking wheels is much easier. Actually the manufacture's do that for you with multiple series of wheel design. Although wheels can dominate the looks of the vehicle the best choice would be ones that compliment the aesthetics of the vehicle keeping in mind the time period, stance and how the intended purpose of the car was at time of marketing. IMO if the wheels keep the viewers eyes below the belt line it really doesn't matter what anything above that looks like. Fred's 68 Monaco appears to have achieved this perfectly. Just my opinion.

Everything Yatzee just said x2.

Just tossing this out there.... You could lose the wire baskets and put a stock wheel cover on those wheels. At least that would cover the fugly rims on there now and get you looking at other ideas.

hmmmm... I had Cragar's on my 65 Olds Cutlass & 73 Monte Carlo and loved them...

65 cutlass.jpgmonte carlo.jpg

Wonder how those larger 17" Cragar's would look on my 66TC vs the American Racing Torque Thrust II's
torque thrust ii's.jpg

torque thrust ii's.jpg

65 cutlass.jpg

monte carlo.jpg

MAN, what a dreadful expedition this has been! Long story short, there is one warehouse somewhere with only two of the Daytona wheels on the shelf, but half a dozen retailers on ebay, amazon, and google who say they have two wheels. So, when I buy a pair from this guy and a pair from that guy, one guy says he doesn't have them. So I get a pair from another guy, but now he doesn't have them. I have had to get 4 refunds from online sellers before I was told the honest story. So after purchasing a completely different set of wheels that they ALSO didn't have in stock, I just said F all that, and I just went with the "plain ol'" Bullit-style 5 spokes. As soon as I get them mounted and balanced and the lefty threads replaced with righties, I'll post some pics. I'm not crazy about putting muscle car wheels on a sled, but they'll look leaps and bounds better than the rusty crusties that are on it now.

Back