Air Compressor Woes....

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm stumped as to what is wrong with my compressor, it's a CH 60 gal upright with oil. I bought I used without a motor. I bought a brand new motor and it ran fine for a year or so. Now when i turn it on it will run for a minute to add much as 5 minutes or sometimes long enough build 125 psi. When it stops it's the pump that stops the motor will spin in the belt.

I finally got enough nerve up to tear it apart to see what is wrong. I expected to find something that looked bad, but I didn't find anything that is even fit heavy scratch left alone gouged. The oil i drained from it was a little dark, but didn't seem to be excessively dirty.

Here's some pictures I took.
20200118_201236.jpg
20200118_201214.jpg
20200118_201205.jpg

What do you think? I'm open to ideas.

If your belt was a little loose before you noticed it and got hot and glazed, it is pretty tough to get so it won’t slip as the pressure is building. It could be as simple as a new belt and tension. Sometimes a little belt dressing can help make it grab better, but once glazed it likely is done.

The cylinders and pistons look good. The crank spins free? Rods feel good? If everything looks good I am thinking the same thing about a new belt and tension. It may be that simple

Back