Alarm Systems for old tymey dinosaur cars like ours.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Anyone have one? Just looking for something that would detect motion/interior lights and ignition/starter disable. Prefer something with a keyfob. No other features (locks, lojack, remote start, etc.) desired. I don't want to roll windows up every time I go in the party store for my blunts, scratchers or a 40. Alert me if a displaced, undocumented person seeking asylum sets up camp in my backseat so that I may offer them a hotel room instead.

I know I could scour ebay/amazon, etc, but I figured I'd check here to see if anyone had been here before me and has a recommendation. I will install myself.

Oh yeah, here"s your post-clue.

IMG_20210322_2041176~2.jpg

I once rigged up a VERY primitive vibration sensor in my 1959 International TravellAll, but had to remove it as passing locomotives too often tripped it. That was over 25 yrs ago, so I suppose some progress has been made since then.

I would use Google for a search engine, but Amazon only if I couldn't find something better without them. Wor$tBuy might have some useful stuff. Frys Electronics would be better, if you have them in your locus.

On my 78 NYB I hooked up a Leroy switch under the right side of the dash by the heater box that interrupted the starter circuit.

For a backup anti-theft precaution I unplugged the brown wire on the starter relay on the firewall and carefully leaving it look like it was still hooked up.

How about Simplisafe?

It's meant for home, but I don't see why you couldn't install it in something that moves. They have entry sensors, motion sensors, even a sensor that is triggered by the sound of breaking glass. It has a nifty phone app to receive alerts, turn it off/on, etc. And you could put a fire sensor under the hood for added peace of mind :D

I installed it at my parent's home and it's been great. $25/mo though...

I rigged a ignition coil to the seat with a on/off switch, sucked bad when you forgot to turn it off. Plenty of ways to make it not start. A good one a friend had was a switch to short the coil out behind the ashtray, out it would not start.

A kill switch is quite simple, and interrupting the distributor (vs coil) is the way to go.

However, that does nothing for people opening doors, etc. I have plans for a rather nice armrest/console that will just sit on a bench seat. I don't want to lose that if I decide to leave the top down at a show... as well as something to alert me should someone try to take my sweet aftermarket rims.

So far, from looking at Amazon, it looks like a motorcycle system might be the way to go, it's just about the only thing not designed as a keyless entry.

A kill switch is quite simple, and interrupting the distributor (vs coil) is the way to go.
However, that does nothing for people opening doors

I have the solution! This one has always been a favorite of mine. I just wish I could hook it up...

I forgot to mention: I use an old Club to lock the steering wheel, and marine terminals with big easy wingnuts to secure ground and positive posts. I use a hood pin with a padlock to secure THAT. None of this bars some pilfering asphalt troglodyte from shopping the passenger compartment, but I've been told by numerous onlookers that the Club actually deters thieves. Since a fair sample of these WERE thieves of varying competence and practice, I'll guess the Authorities speak the truth about that device. Folks see it and move on.

Biggest issue now is a flat bed. @Mopar Tim A friend broke down with a mint 60 Vette 2 miles from his house walked back to get tools, (no cell with him) came back 10 minutes later and yes the car had a passive no start alarm, the car was gone in a great area also. 100K car also. Took months for the insurance company to pay half the value!

Last edited:
However, that does nothing for people opening doors, etc. I have plans for a rather nice armrest/console that will just sit on a bench seat. I don't want to lose that if I decide to leave the top down at a show....

You mean something like this?
image.jpg

Back