Almost fits

Imperial dude

Reaction score
I'd leave the door up but it has the nasty habit of coming down on its own
IMG_20211101_153844_3.jpg

There was a similar picture in our local newspaper about 30 years ago, except it was a '67 Newport that almost fit!

Aw man, you need to get some foam wrap for large pipe to cover the lower edge of door.

They don’t build garages like they used to!
Growing up our house built in ‘63 had a typical two car garage. Must have been at least 24’ x 24’ with an 18’ double door. It easily fit two C bodies over the years along with numerous bikes, lawnmower, workbench, refrigerator and freezer. By ‘83 when my house was built apparently a 22’ x 22’ garage became typical. (Most houses in my sub have even smaller 20’ x 20’ garages. My neighbors are lucky to park one vehicle in the garage along with all the kid’s stuff). My Dakota barely fit in mine and the Monaco has to be run right up to the step-up in the back of garage to get the door to roll down. I had to get the tongue of my boat trailer cut-back to get it to fit.

Aw man, you need to get some foam wrap for large pipe to cover the lower edge of door.

the door still has the rubber weatherstrip on the bottom, going to get a piece of foam pipe insulation to put on the bottom for a little extra protection

Trying to figure out something that won't hold water or mar the paint, thinking maybe pvc

Last edited:
I’d put some clamps on the tracks to keep the door off the car completely.

On windy days the door will shake and slide on your paint, gradually scratching and wearing the paint down. All the big box and hardware stores should carry the wrap. I use it a lot in my garage, jack handles, garage door tracks to save open hoods any other hard edge while working on cars.

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_20211103_155517_3.jpg

Took your advice dematt and went to harbor freight and bought 4 cheap C clamps, I put 1 under the rollers on each side and one over the rollers so the door won't raise, very good idea
And just for giggles, here's what was in the garage, that actually fits inside
IMG_20211103_155532_3.jpg

It's supposed to look dirty and grungy, not much time for a car wash in the middle of a zombie apocalypse LOL
was going to take it to a local" trunk or treat" car show but it was raining

View attachment 495430

Took your advice dematt and went to harbor freight and bought 4 cheap C clamps, I put 1 under the rollers on each side and one over the rollers so the door won't raise, very good idea
And just for giggles, here's what was in the garage, that actually fits insideView attachment 495431
It's supposed to look dirty and grungy, not much time for a car wash in the middle of a zombie apocalypse LOL
was going to take it to a local" trunk or treat" car show but it was raining
Contrary to myth, Pintos didn't dissolve in rain... road salt's a different story... :lol:

Actually,, if you decide to try a "bump out" for the garage... it's probably easier to do the back wall... just make sure it's properly built for any load it may carry (probably only be it's own weight) and you can hide/protect the entire car. Look like a little shed was added, so it shouldn't attract too much attention.

We have a similar issue, but not as bad. We can only close the garage with the hood open, and have to actually push out on the garage door when closing it to clear the bumper.

IMG_4813 (1).jpg

We have a similar issue, but not as bad. We can only close the garage with the hood open, and have to actually push out on the garage door when closing it to clear the bumper.

View attachment 495433
20170820_191138.jpg

I had the same problem with my duster, pull in until the bumper touched the front wall, and push out on the door to close it, it's gone now though
It had to go when I got the Imperial, the city I live in has a real stick up it's a$$ when it comes to cars sitting around
I know, why didn't I get rid 0f the Pinto instead of the Duster?
Well the Duster had a lot of sketchy repairs, needed trunk floor, floorboards, rear quarters, front fenders, and a COMPLETE interior, plus it only had a /6
I've had the Pinto since 1989, and its amazingly solid for a Pinto, and well optioned

View attachment 495464

I had the same problem with my duster, pull in until the bumper touched the front wall, and push out on the door to close it, it's gone now though
It had to go when I got the Imperial, the city I live in has a real stick up it's a$$ when it comes to cars sitting around
I know, why didn't I get rid 0f the Pinto instead of the Duster?
Well the Duster had a lot of sketchy repairs, needed trunk floor, floorboards, rear quarters, front fenders, and a COMPLETE interior, plus it only had a /6
I've had the Pinto since 1989, and its amazingly solid for a Pinto, and well optioned

That’s a nice duster, is it a 74? That pinto does look pretty solid, usually those are rusted away. You don’t see too many of those around much anymore. My sister had a Ford Granada years ago and I remember the rear bumper falling off from being driven in the winter salt. The whole rear frame area was totally gone.

Last edited:
That’s a nice duster, is it a 74? That pinto does look pretty solid, usually those are rusted away. You don’t see too many of those around much anymore. My sister had a Ford Granada years ago and I remember the rear bumper falling off from being driven in the winter salt. The whole rear frame area was totally gone.

yes, it was a 74, but somebody played"pimp my ride" with the interior, home made console, door panels and all, and not well done either, agreed I could have gotten everything new from year one, at the cost of 3-4k
Had it been a 71 factory 340 4-speed, I'd have probably done it, but a 74 slant 6 gold duster? Nah
And yea the pinto is pretty solid, someone had it ziebarted long ago, it needs floor pans, but the frame rails are rock solid, if I can ever find the panels at a reasonable price I'll turn it into a cruzin wagon, I wish it had the V6 in it, but that 2300 is pretty peppy for a 4 banger
Yes I'm a MOPAR guy, but have always had a soft spot in my heart(or head) for the Pinto, its like driving a go-kart

Photo editing_Cloud20180211_2.jpg

"2300 is pretty peppy for a 4 banger"

The one I had in my 78 mustang was a piece of junk. In 93 my wife and I bought a Ford Tempo with the 2300. It ran great, but it had a redesigned cylinder head and fuel injection. Otherwise mostly the same. The best thing that happened was the mustang was repossessed by the bank. Bought a 66 Impala with a 396 after that. Wish I still had that one.

Back