Alternator Question

If you have someone that can rebuild the alternators, maybe you could have a core done (with the correct date if desired) to a higher rating, then take the one you have as a spare.

If you have someone that can rebuild the alternators, maybe you could have a core done (with the correct date if desired) to a higher rating, then take the one you have as a spare.
Well now there’s an idea, and one I wasn’t aware of being able to do using the same casing. I would have thought a higher output unit would have to be physically larger.

Well now there’s an idea, and one I wasn’t aware of being able to do using the same casing. I would have thought a higher output unit would have to be physically larger.
It's mostly a matter of changing the stator. The stator is the piece that's sandwiched between the case halves.

IIRC, the higher output stators might be a little thicker so, yea, it does make the alternator slightly thicker. The split bushing on the mounting ear on the back half slide to compensate though, so it all mounts the same.

This shows the split bushing.

G33snoVjjLSQQrqUIWHMFxm1-LkBSYzGpuyHG0KY57ukuzguCgOstCczdPrR_o5tt35rzZcIKyP1q8W0Hvmw2IKocEPKf9G_.jpg

It's mostly a matter of changing the stator. The stator is the piece that's sandwiched between the case halves.

IIRC, the higher output stators might be a little thicker so, yea, it does make the alternator slightly thicker. The split bushing on the mounting ear on the back half slide to compensate though, so it all mounts the same.

This shows the split bushing.

View attachment 400852
And now I have a better understanding of this, thank you. If possible, I may pull this one and follow your suggestion. That way, I can have a good rebuilt unit on hand as a backup.

Back