Aluminum door sill restoration?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I checked and to no surprise no one is making a replica door sill for my 300. Mine are nicked up pretty bad. I was able to clean them up to a certain level rubbing them with aluminum foil and soapy water. What have you guys done? Can a polish shop actually restore them to a certain level? Door sill.sm.jpg

Door sill.sm.jpg

A shop should be able to restore them... Didnt you send your trim to a guy? He cant do it?

As an ex-Harley owner with friends building show bikes, I have only bad news.
Restoring them requires soda blasting, tons of buffing, and clear coating. Which is what a polish shop would do.
Option 2: Woody Wax. Not nearly as good but better than nothing.
http://www.woody-wax.com/woody-wax-kit.php
It only cleans what you have. It doesn't restore it.

Those would have been anodized aluminum so unfortunately you can clean them up fairly easily but it won't last unless reanodized if I'm not mistaken.

As an ex-Harley owner with friends building show bikes, I have only bad news.
Restoring them requires soda blasting, tons of buffing, and clear coating. Which is what a polish shop would do.
Option 2: Woody Wax. Not nearly as good but better than nothing.
http://www.woody-wax.com/woody-wax-kit.php
It only cleans what you have. It doesn't restore it.
Thanks for tip on the woody wax product. Is soda blasting the only medium to use for blasting? I have the buffer and plenty of clear but not a soda blaster.

I was able to source pretty nice originals and had them re-anodized. I believe the 2D and Convertible sills are the same for 65-68 Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth.

I checked and to no surprise no one is making a replica door sill for my 300. Mine are nicked up pretty bad. I was able to clean them up to a certain level rubbing them with aluminum foil and soapy water. What have you guys done? Can a polish shop actually restore them to a certain level?View attachment 11278

It they are not corroded to badly then XXX steel wool soaked with brake clean will clean them up nicely. I've had good luck with this process. The trick is to get the years of dirt out of the scratches and pores of the metal....

It they are not corroded to badly then XXX steel wool soaked with brake clean will clean them up nicely. I've had good luck with this process. The trick is to get the years of dirt out of the scratches and pores of the metal....

The Brakleen will remove the anodizing so you will either have to stay on top of them and polish once a month or get them re-anodized.

The Brakleen will remove the anodizing so you will either have to stay on top of them and polish once a month or get them re-anodized.

The only thing that will remove anodizing, besides the electrical process, is HD oven cleaner. Brake clean wont touch it.

Should you decide to remove the anodizing and polish the sill plates..... A good way to preserve them is glossy clear powder coat.

Thanks for all tips. I may just live with them this summer and try some of the simple solutions and then stay on top of them. I showed you a better part of the sill they are pretty nicked up. I may see if Murray Park has a good set and have him bring a set with him to Nationals, and then re-anodize them.

Hey..... if you're on FCBO........you're pretty smart!!!

:sFl_america2:

Never said stupid, what are you implying?:poke:

Not implying anything. You're stupid if you think you're so damn smart you don't listen. I'm talking about a couple of other forums...

I don't care if you walk away unchanged but at least know how to converse intelligently.

< Sent from my tablet >

Back