Always bring your board to a quarry

70Tom

Reaction score
I guess back in '73 -'74, rock surfing was popular. Hang Ten....

Dart 10.jpg

Always thought they were cool......but couldn't bring myself to owning one. Not enough surfer dude in me I guess.....I opted for a blue 340 4pd Duster.

One thing I find interesting about those models is they made a special tubular loop "cross brace"? Opposed to the regular "X" behind the rear seat to allow for board loading.

I got schooled by a co-worker on the Hang 10 option, it was early in my old Mopar owning days, shortly after I got my 67 Dart.

That's one sweet swim suit that model's rocking!

Last edited:
Here's a great thought.....

She's eligible to join AARP and has five grand kids.

Sigh. I miss the 70s.

Interesting, the plate says "Dart". The Dodge version of the Plymouth Duster was originally a "Demon" w/ a little devil decal, but after some preachers made a name for themselves by bible-thumping that (and Proctor & Gamble logo), they changed the name to "Sport" or such. Many girls in our swim league wore those USA flag suits in the early 1970's. I wore one just like Mark Spitz's in the 1972 Munich Olympics. I have seen a few Hang Ten cars for sale on the A-body forum, but usually a bit rusty. That is what you get from driving on the beach. Imagine those cars in the TV ads, driving half in the surf on Daytona, splashing the salt water all underneath. Probably sold them as "new" to clueless customers.

Quite a few years ago, a friend heard that a Hang Ten Dart was for sale and I knew the seller. I stopped at the guy's shop to look at the car and was told it was around back. The car was described as "a little rough". I walked around and there was a pile of very rusty parts that once was a car. The engine and radiator was gone... and if you stood at the back and looked at the area between the tail lights, you could see through the trunk, through the interior, through the firewall and out the front of the car.

Back