An A12 story

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Here is a story, (true), of an event that took place in my life back in early 1969. Most of the old timers here have seen it as I posted it a few years ago. Perhaps some of the more recent members will enjoy it.

My summer, fall and winter of 1968 and into the spring of 1969 was spent keeping my head below the sandbags in South Viet Nam. I was able to convince my brother to send a car magazine now and then and dreamed about the Hemi GTX that was destined to be mine upon return to the world, (that means home to a GI). Well, I survived all the bad moons and returned home to Lincoln Park, (a downriver sub of Detroit) in March of 1969 where I was glad to be reunited with my trusty 1966 triple black Plymouth Satellite 383 4speed. My brother was in charge of it during my absence and had let his girl friend drive it who then rear ended another car. It was fixed when I got home except the front bumper, which was gone. Oh, well.

After a couple days of "hi... how are ya's" I headed to Downriver Chrysler/Plymouth in nearby Southgate Michigan. My dad had bought several Chryslers and Imperials there and I had always kept my eye on the car lot as many interesting machines would turn up.

I was excited at the thought of ordering the Hemi GTX and got hooked up with
Ed Rushlow, a salesman who was more than happy to talk about it. I was working my way down the option list and the GTX was taking shape on the order pad. We were discussing tire size options when he located a memo in his in box on his desk. It was a one page sheet, new product bulletin and it outlined the A12 option on the Road Runner. He showed it to me and the list of equipment was impressive! Basicly a hemi car but with a 440 and three two bbl carbs. AND a NASCAR style lift off fiberglass hood with a scoop....... Whats THAT all about...? He didn't know either.

Just for curiosity we spec'ed one out and he quoted me a price. It came in around $1500.00 less then the Hemi GTX we had on paper!!! HUMMMmmmmmmmm..... now I had something to think about. A 440 with three 2BBLs in a Road Runner sounded like one bad *** car to me.

Asside from being my primary car I had visions of some racing at Detroit dragway and some street racing on Telegraph rd. and Woodward ave. (Although I think it was illegal to do that). I was familure with the high maintance the Hemi engine required to stay running well and so the multi carb 440 was sounding pretty good.

I left the order in limbo, told the salesman I had to think about it, and left. There was another Chrysler/Plymouth dealer, (Buckingham CP), not far away so I thought...... compare pricing.... I walked in, found a salesman, which is not that hard to do, and asked for a price quote on a Road Runner with a 440 3 2BBL engine. He looked at me like I was a Chevy guy and said..."you can't get a 440 in a Road Runner" It's a 383 or Hemi. He had not heard about the A12 package.

I was convinced, that got me fired up and I returned to the first dealership, found Ed and said, "sign me up"!

I ordered a 69 Road Runner coupe with the A12, automatic, all tinted glass in T5 bronze fire metallic with black interior.

There was a new fm radio station in Detroit at the time that played only rock music.... WABX..... the "Air Aces". I got to thinking and called the salesman later that evening and added a am/fm radio.

Then it began.... the wait. This was to be my first new car, ever! And I had no idea what I had ordered. There were no A12's at the dealership, no one I knew had seen, or even heard of one. The salesman didn't even have a picture. Nothing was ever said about the cars being built on only two dates and my car was scheduled for 4/26.... this was early March! It was agonizing...!

I did receive a call from the salesman at the second dealership I visited, (He had taken my contact info), sometime in late March. He had one on the showroom floor. I headed straight over there and WOW!!!!! It was awesome. My first incounter. It was a Ralley Green hardtop with a 4 speed and black vinyl top. It looked menicing with the black hood and huge scoop, redlines and no hub caps. He offered it to me and it was tempting but I decided to wait for the one I had ordered.

I got the call sometime in early May..... my Runner was here! I will never forget walking into the service area and seeing it just as it had been unloaded off the truck. It was to be prepped and I could get it the next day.

I got off work and went by the house. My dad and brother went with me to the dealership and as soon as we turned into the drive.... there it was, parked directly in front of the entrance to the showroom. BUT wait...... It has a set of Dodge dog dish hubcaps on it.... whats up with that....? Apparently the prep guys didn't know about the hubcap delete thing. They thought the factory had forgotten to put the caps in the car and so got a set of Dodge caps from the parts dept and put them on. I may have taken delivery of the only A12 to come with hub caps.... LOL.

The saga continues from there with many great and memoral times crusing the streets, Woodward ave, drive-ins, girls. It was a magic time and I wished I had been more aware of that then. It was a machine in a time that will never be duplicated.

Enjoy your A12's guys.... If ya have em...smoke em...!

upload_2017-1-9_21-55-21.png

One with dog dish caps

:thumbsup: I love that story... I can only say, it's even better when in person. Thank you Will.

Great story Will. It's always exciting to be able to order someone's dream car even for us on the Dealership side. We know when we are ordering something special and it's a big draw the day it arrives. The Hellcat is the modern version of your story but it's no A12. Thanks for posting your story.

Great story Will. It's always exciting to be able to order someone's dream car even for us on the Dealership side. We know when we are ordering something special and it's a big draw the day it arrives. The Hellcat is the modern version of your story but it's no A12. Thanks for posting your story.
and no one is telling the story like Will does. It is even better with Jer there to add commentary

Great story Will, but more importantly thanks for your service to our country! As great as that car sounds it pales in comparison to your sacrifices!

As Long as you remember you already told the A12 Story, you can be sure of your superior mental health. Keep them coming. :D

Here is a question, people talk about the A12 as if it was a Model of its own. Isn't it just an option package on a Super Bee or Road Runner?

Alan

Old timers!? What constitutes an old timer? Hopefully not age or did they call you "Pops" when you were in Vietnam :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your comments guys. There are several high lights to the story that will stay with me always.
Starting with the fact that I made it back home from Viet Nam. Then pursuing the dream of a Hemi GTX, then discovery of a new option code available that not a lot of people knew about. (Not easy in a place like Detroit). I would try to describe the car I ordered and the response ranged from "You must be nuts"and "Yea.... sure" to "There's no such thing". Even once I took delivery most people had not heard of a 440 6BBL Road Runner.
It was a great time and embrased on my brain like a tattoo.

Here is a question, people talk about the A12 as if it was a Model of its own. Isn't it just an option package on a Super Bee or Road Runner?

Alan

Correct. "A" is an option package and the 12 was for 6bbl cars.

And just because, here's a couple of cool ads.

fb569efc2707e0e7a635851d38e421b5.jpg
six-pack-to-go-1969-dodge-coronet-super-bee-digital-repro-depot.jpg

Yes.......! All "A" codes are packages. Although referring to the A12 as "just an option package" seems understated.

Thanks for all your comments guys. There are several high lights to the story that will stay with me always.
Starting with the fact that I made it back home from Viet Nam. Then pursuing the dream of a Hemi GTX, then discovery of a new option code available that not a lot of people knew about. (Not easy in a place like Detroit). I would try to describe the car I ordered and the response ranged from "You must be nuts"and "Yea.... sure" to "There's no such thing". Even once I took delivery most people had not heard of a 440 6BBL Road Runner.
It was a great time and embrased on my brain like a tattoo.
Glad you made it back, Will. I'm not sure I can even imagine what it might have felt like to make it back home. And to actually purchase an A12 car after returning. That's just icing on the cake.

On a side note, it appears there may have been a Dodge A12 commercial. Did you ever happen to see it? Has anyone seen it?

Super_Bee_Commercial_2.jpg

6bbl product bulletin.JPG
6 bbl product bulletin 2.JPG
6 bbl product bulletin 3.JPG

This list is an revised list and the connecting rod part number reflects the 1970, larger rods. The original engine used the lighter, commando/magnum connecting rods. One reason the 69's were a bit quicker then the equivalent 70 V code.
Likely for warrantee reasons.

Last edited:
Back