An alternative rim idea.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I've been gathering these rims as they pop-up on CL. They're aluminum with a "platichrome" fascia, which means no pitting/corrosion issues. They came OEM on '04 to maybe '07 Chrysler 300 Touring (trim levels). RWD offset, bolt pattern that fits old Mopars. I also run them on my FWD LH car.

They're 17" which opens up the possibility of much better tires, and even whitewalls if you use some white-letter SUV/CUV (and grind them) or Diamondback-type.

Keep in mind, I was just moving around some rims the other day and threw these "in front" of the OEM rims, so the appear a good bit larger than they would appear if mounted. This is about the only modern RWD rim that doesn't look like a food processor blade or some ghetto-junk. I like the old-timey Chrysler logo in the center as well.

I don't have any plans to use them on the Salon, since the rims are part of the package, but if I had a "regular" Chrysler formal....

IMG_20181112_104737.jpg

Have you tried putting them on a car? How's the offset compared to the 15" wheels?

Have you tried putting them on a car? How's the offset compared to the 15" wheels?

Not personally, but many people are running larger-size LX rims on all sorts of older Mopars. These are 17" cop steelies painted Argent and running rally centers.

Gdemon71b-1.jpg

:elmer::realcrazy:
Modern wheels with the wrong offset and the mm hole pattern not exact at 4.5??
Carmine, wtf is happening to you?

:elmer::realcrazy:
Modern wheels with the wrong offset and the mm hole pattern not exact at 4.5??
Carmine, wtf is happening to you?

What's .7 of a millimeter between friends? Tires/rims, batteries, and lightbulbs are consumables in my eyes, so I'm open to new ideas.

Those Chrysler 300 Touring wheels are a favourite of mine as well. I've thought that they'd probably look good on a '66 Chrysler. (I don't like the look of 5-spoke wheels on a CHRYSLER, which immediately eliminates most wheels for me.)

They have a 115mm bolt circle, not 4.5" (114.3mm). I've read lots of online debate over whether it's dangerous to use them or if the 0.35mm offset between the wheel stud and the stud hole is negligible and probably within the manufacturing tolerances of a 114.3mm wheel anyhow.

114.3mm does NOT equal 115mm. Yeah, they "bolt on"...but they really don't.

Instead of the lug nut making 360* contact, it now makes contact with the wheel at just ONE outboard point on each lug hole! This causes stress and you'll either crack the wheel at that point in each hole, or work the nuts loose, or snap the lug bolts off. Either way, you're screwed. A Dremel simply results in a larger (and still wrong!) hole. It's physics, not opinion.

Run adapters, if you must run later wheels. But don't run the wheels directly to the car. The wheel passing you on the road will likely be yours, if you do.

You're not running 50-yo wheels. The different hole size along with the goofy offset, and you're asking for problems...Don't believe me? That's your decision.

You're not running 50-yo wheels. The different hole size along with the goofy offset, and you're asking for problems...Don't believe me? That's your decision.
Without wading into the argument about 114.3 vs 115mm bolt circle, your mention of "the goofy offset" inspired me to check something.

These newer wheels are 17x7" with a +22mm offset (wheel is 22mm more inboard versus one with zero offset) and the center register hole is 71.5mm.

Mopar 15x7 steel wheels (e.g. cop wheels) are 15x7" with +0.25" (+6mm) offset, and designed for 2-13/16" (71.4375mm) center register.

So the center register size is compatible and there is an extra 16mm of offset versus a "proper" wheel. That's probably not a big deal, since the newer wheels will be designed to clear large disc brakes and 17" tires will have less sidewall bulge than 15" tires with the same overall diameter. That wouldn't allow much room for an adapter either, without moving the wheel so far outboard that it looks stupid and stresses the bearings.

EDIT: The tall hubs on older Mopars may stop the 300 Touring wheel center caps from being installed. That would rather spoil the look of those wheels.

On other forums, people have measured some stock LX wheels and swear that they were found to be 114.3mm. YMMV?

Last edited:
Back