An Article Covering the Basics of A Good B/RB Engine Rebuild

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I noticed this article in Hemmings that seems to cover most of the basics of a good B/RB engine rebuild. It has most of the helpful tips I can think of at least:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/ar...aily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-04-08

The performance upgrade recommendations are more subjective but aluminum heads and a better flowing intake make sense, but I am not so sure I wouldn't want the roller rockers for long term durability on a more radical camshaft.

Virtually all of my engines are stock though, so my focus was mostly on the basics of a good rebuild in general.

Last edited:
"WINDAGE TRAY TRIBULATIONS RB engines use a windage tray between the crankshaft and oil pan. However, there are numerous factory versions, as well as plenty of aftermarket options, making it all the more important to carefully check the clearance of the one you're using against the reach of the connecting rods. It was an issue with the assembly shown here. A few washers for shims may do the trick, but an entirely different tray may be the only solution."

Well... Here's some advice that I wouldn't follow. The windage tray mounts between the oil pan and the block so putting some washers and/or shims to block up the windage tray obviously isn't going to work. Checking clearance is good though...

I noticed this article in Hemmings that seems to cover most of the basics of a good B/RB engine rebuild. It has most of the helpful tips I can think of at least:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/ar...aily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-04-08

The performance upgrade recommendations are more subjective but aluminum heads and a better flowing intake make sense, but I am not so sure I wouldn't want the roller rockers for long term durability on a more radical camshaft.

Virtually all of my engines are stock though, so my focus was mostly on the basics of a good rebuild in general.
My Bible. I use it so I don't forget anything. (like the oil slinger :rolleyes:
)
how-to-rebuild-the-big-block-mopar-3.jpg

"WINDAGE TRAY TRIBULATIONS RB engines use a windage tray between the crankshaft and oil pan. However, there are numerous factory versions, as well as plenty of aftermarket options, making it all the more important to carefully check the clearance of the one you're using against the reach of the connecting rods. It was an issue with the assembly shown here. A few washers for shims may do the trick, but an entirely different tray may be the only solution."

Well... Here's some advice that I wouldn't follow. The windage tray mounts between the oil pan and the block so putting some washers and/or shims to block up the windage tray obviously isn't going to work. Checking clearance is good though...

I assumed he meant using extra shim gaskets or else that would not make sense, I agree. Otherwise why would he allude that that might not work if he somehow forgot about the gasket issue if metal shims, etc were used?

I assumed he meant using extra shim gaskets or else that would not make sense, I agree. Otherwise why would he allude that that might not work if he somehow forgot about the gasket issue if metal shims, etc were used?
Really, the only good way to do it is either a different windage tray or modify the existing one.

Back