An exhausting subject..

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
On the subject of exhuast, I'm looking for opinions on mufflers for my 73.

I've hacked off the disaster of an exhaust system it had, and I'm now planning out what will replace it. I've located OE hangers and isolators for it and will get it bent so that it mimics the OE dual exhaust system. I'm going with 2.5" due to the eventual planned 440 swap.

What I want is a muffler that has the Mopar sound to it, but is not loud or obnoxious. I want a good sound, but something that would be appropriate for a police cruiser.

Thank you
Nick

I think the Mopar police Pkg. used the Hemi mufflers if I'm not mistaken? And I know the Hemi muffs aren't cheap! If not, I would think any good free flowing stock type muffler will give the sounds your lookin for. Walker, Maremont, etc. Good Luck

Last edited:
IMHO, the closest you will find without breaking the bank would be something like the Dynomax Super Turbo. This is a muffler based on the mid-sixties turbocharged Corvairs. This is the muffler that TTI supplies with their systems.

Super Turbo™ Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

To quiet it down a little more, you can also put a short glasspack muffler at the end of the tailpipe where the stock resonator was mounted.

I use the B Body Hemi Mufflers on my 440 C Bodies.

Walker soundfx get the longest on you can get in the pipe size you want

The '69 Polara 440/375 used the same part number (at least in my old Walker Exhaust catalog) as was used on the Street Hemi, which is a shorter case than the normal C-body muffler (with pipe lengths altered to compensate). The '72 Imperial-spec muffler is supposed to have the same "restriction" as the Street Hemi muffler, but with C-body size and 2.5" inlet/outlet pipes, as I recall.

If you're going to get the system built, then case length should not be an issue, just the pipe diameter.

CBODY67

Nick,when we go to the mid-west show,the BoaB will give you an idea how the Dynomax Super Turbo's sound.

Nick,when we go to the mid-west show,the BoaB will give you an idea how the Dynomax Super Turbo's sound.

Do you get any drone from those turbo mufflers?

I had the generic ones on my 493 and anything much under about 2500 rpm it drove me nuts.

I've got a set of the non turbo Magnaflows for whatever I put it in next.

Kevin

I´ve got the Dynomax Super Turbos on mine. At idle they make a nice rumble, they never drone at steady speeds when they are not loud, but will ``wake up`` when the gas pedal goes down. They might be on the loud side for an Imperial, but I like them. The P# for these is 1773.
Nothing fancy (or not posted yet), but this gives a sample:

Last edited:
As stubs300 mentioned, Walker mufflers have worked well for me. Also, I believe Cbody67 is correct about those Imperial mufflers (that sounds familiar from way back).

Anyway, having run glass packs, cherry bombs & "Hush Thrush" turbo mufflers (nothing "hush" about them) for years...…. and getting a hearing test to see how much hearing I've lost.....and having neighbors complain about me just idling down the street.... I wanted a "stock sound". The Walker mufflers are pretty close. Don't worry, with a 440 and dual exhaust you'll have plenty of sound & it will never be "quiet". I'm even considering adding a set of cherry bombs as "economy hemi resonators" in addition to the Walker mufflers like Big John mentioned.

And if your still uncertain of what you want. You can always go around to the various muffler shops in your hood and play 20 questions with them about what you want, then decide from there. Good Luck

The Dynomax turbos will be pretty aggressive for a big block, even the larger case mufflers are smaller than a "Hemi" style muffler. They only run a "two pass" flow system inside which contributes to the aggressive tone. An H or X pipe may help but they will be "loud".*
*Matter of taste

I'm going to try a pair of Walker "sound effects" mufflers on our Polara. The body length is almost 20 inches and the overall is 25 inches. Part # 18230 is 2.25 ID and is listed for 68 through 76 Roadrunners, Chargers, GTX with 383 through Hemi/440 engines etc. I believe these are a 2 pass muffler but the larger case also promotes a deeper and quieter sound. They are similar to the old "Crew Chief" mufflers sold back in the 80's.

If you can find a 3 pass (3 baffle tube) muffler with a 20 inch oval body it will be very quiet. Make sure the body has fiberglass sandwiched between the inner and outer skins and it will be very low drone as well.

Last edited:
Next to wheels and tires,exhaust is also a personal choice where you as for opinions you get MANY of them!

Maybe someone should start "An exhaust survey thread" like the wheel tire thread.
But not me...oh no!

Currently I'm running Dynomax Turbos on a 2006 Charger R/T and a 2000 Ram.

The Ram's recommended muffler is way too small and there's a lot of drone, the tone is very aggressive and if I could I'd replace it with a longer bodied version. 3" inlet to 2-2-1/2 Outlets.

The Charger runs 2 2-1/2 turbos, an X-pipe, and no resonators. The factory system was very quiet even with the 2 pass Road and Track package mufflers. The tone is very mellow, and the system is louder than stock but not as loud as the active system on newer cars. There is some drone with or without the MDS but it's not annoying. It also has 100 less cubes than a 440!

Last edited:
Back