An Interesting Era For Sure

Wildaugust

Reaction score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkz1OhnlCAc&feature=player_detailpage

To be able to buy NASCAR Speedway machines for the street. :)

I was expecting to see at least a 140 MPH speedometer in the Cobra, but then it was just a prototype. Never made it to production. Got me wondering if GM was working on one also. I love the Superbird, but I have to admit I kinda like the Cobra too.

Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkz1OhnlCAc&feature=player_detailpage

To be able to buy NASCAR Speedway machines for the street. :)

I was expecting to see at least a 140 MPH speedometer in the Cobra, but then it was just a prototype. Never made it to production. Got me wondering if GM was working on one also. I love the Superbird, but I have to admit I kinda like the Cobra too.

GM famously had a corporate policy against racing at the time... left the fight to Mopar and the F word... but you never know what ideas were rolling around that didn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too little, too late from GM.

C5618-0019.jpg

Even Buick had a factory modified LeSabre for NASCAR. DAMN if I can find a picture of it tho. Will keep looking. Ultra ULTRA rare.

I do like the Pontiac versions. Not much in the "gusto" department tho. I raced one with an 84 Grand Prix I had. No competition! I will say that Buick is quite the collectors item tho:(

GM famously had a corporate policy against racing at the time... left the fight to Mopar and the F word... but you never know what ideas were rolling around that didn't happen.

GM didn't have a powerplant that could compete in the 60s. The W-block 409 was outdated and outclassed. The BB Chevy, for all its positives and all the hype/hope the GM crowd hung on it when it replced the W-engines, didn't do well on big oval-track racing. Pontiac did better, but I get the feeling it just never got the corporate backing that GM threw behind the blowtie brand. :-/ It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if GM hadn't pulled the plug before Buick's baddest 455 Stage III came together, though.

The eighties were the death of NASCAR as I knew it. Haven't seen nor followed it since.

/ It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if GM hadn't pulled the plug before Buick's baddest 455 Stage III came together, though.
The Stage III was the one where the car came with the Stage II installed and the Stage III parts in the trunk, right?

The eighties were the death of NASCAR as I knew it. Haven't seen nor followed it since.

The Stage III was the one where the car came with the Stage II installed and the Stage III parts in the trunk, right?

That was Stage II
if I'm correct Stage III never got to the street...

Is that the same chrome "Ford" emblem they put on shitboxes like the fairmont in the 80's? Must have had about six dollars of budget left when they got to the exterior badging.

Both cool cars, I agree, but Chrysler had the cajones to release a wing-car to the public. I have to admire corporate bravado such as this.

Is that the same chrome "Ford" emblem they put on shitboxes like the fairmont in the 80's? Must have had about six dollars of budget left when they got to the exterior badging.

Both cool cars, I agree, but Chrysler had the cajones to release a wing-car to the public. I have to admire corporate bravado such as this.

It was actually NASCAR requirement to race... "stock" car in 1969 meant 500 produced, in 1970 needed 1 for each dealer, which is why they switched to Plymouth...fewest dealers. That Ford was a prototype and never raced. They say Plymouth dealers had a hard time selling them and many went below invoice or had the wing and nose removed.

Back