An Unusual Wet Spot???

state_vampire

Reaction score
Okay, this one has me stumped. The last few times I've had my 74 Newport out, when I bring it in, there is an unusual wet spot under the transparent floor mats I laid down, but only on the passenger side and only at the front of the floor. It feels and smells like water(none of the oily qualities that anti-freeze would have). It's been dry as a bone here in Iowa and the few times it has rained, I haven't had it out. I have been crawling in, under and all around this car all week...any ideas????

Has to be heater core but hopefully just condensation from it, you been running your heat or a.c. on the days you've noticed?

Has to be heater core but hopefully just condensation from it, you been running your heat or a.c. on the days you've noticed?
99% chance heater core
cry1.gif

1% chance it's icing up due to faulty OPR valve or a clogged drain tube.
43.gif

Factory AC or after-market? Either way, it could be the condensate drain. In factory, that was a short tube thru the firewall and could be plugged or bent. Try to find it and push a wire or such carefully. That was the problem in my 69 Dart, 82 Aries, 96 Voyager, 85 Mercedes, in other words a common car problem. In some cars, there is a rubber lip that is supposed to open for water and stay shut to keep engine gases out, but they usually get stuck closed and backup the drain. If after-market AC, they ran a rubber tube to a hole in the passenger floor. It could be broke or pulled out, causing water on the floor. Could also be the heater core, but you should smell anti-freeze then, would have fogged your windshield last winter, and you probably just started using AC.

Back