Another 72 Monaco back on the road

Other than the engine/trans, a crucial piece missing from this wagon when purchased was the fuel tank. There was a bit of custom bracing in the fenderwell, I'm guessing in the past that someone had rigged up some sort of a custom fuel cell. As most people know, wagon fuel tanks are specific and difficult to find. Luckily all the associated hardware for the tank was laying in the cargo area. This summer I was able to purchase one from @tfrogh that was for sale in this thread
SOLD - 1972 Wagon Gas Tank plus a few odds and ends
A couple days ago I was able to get it installed along with a new sending unit.View attachment 504000 View attachment 504001 View attachment 504002 View attachment 504003 View attachment 504004 View attachment 504005

@BLIMP
There are very, very few people in the world who can truly appreciate what you have to fret over, in dealing with the side mounted fuel tank. Congrats on scrounging up that replacement.

Another Monaco wagon soon to be back on the road. Ruh ruh ruh…

After rebuilding the calipers and bleeding the system, something was still wrong. Originally I had thought that the "solid as a rock" brake pedal was the result of frozen caliper pistons. Figured that the only thing left that could be the problem was this huge booster...I believe this one is from a fuselage Imperial, but not positive?
Screenshot_20211228-093232_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211228-093123_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211228-093106_Gallery.jpg

Pulled a booster from my parts car 72 Monaco sedan. Went over it quickly with a wire brush and coated it with some oil. I forgot to grab the correct vacuum lines, but it wasn't too long and I had a nicely functioning brake system!
Screenshot_20211228-093213_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211228-093148_Gallery.jpg

Was hoping to get it out and take it on its maiden voyage today but unfortunately it just started snowing.

That big Midland-Ross booster actually is correct for 1971 to 1973 wagons.

I've never been a big fan of that booster and it should be fine to replace it with the one that you used.

Jeff

Both the wagons and the Imperials used the dual diaphragm boosters but the regular Chrysler hardtops and sedans got the single diaphragm wider boosters starting in 1971. In trying to stop a large heavy wagon or Imperial, the dual diaphragm booster will give you more applying force to more rapidly slow down the heavier cars in a panic stop. To get an idea of how important this is, try disabling the brake booster and try to stop one of these wagons just when creeping along on your driveway without boost - unless you are a really big guy with a lot of leg strength, you won't be hardly able to stop it at all just idling along.

I would opt for the original booster or at least a dual diaphragm one if from an earlier year asap.

Keep up the good work!

That big Midland-Ross booster actually is correct for 1971 to 1973 wagons.

Both the wagons and the Imperials used the dual diaphragm boosters starting in 1971.

Thank you both Jeff and Steve for that info. My green parts wagon also has the large Midland-Ross booster.
Screenshot_20211228-100556_Gallery.jpg

Wyatt, Tim, and I, were talking it over as to what was correct, as my other 3 wagons have the smaller Bendix model. At the very least, I'll grab the large one from my parts wagon and see how it works in the yellow Suburban, as that smaller booster is also failing.

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of the coolant overflow bottle that was in the back of the wagon with the other loose parts. Wasn't able to find a part # on it, and I have no idea what a stock one looks like or where it's mounted. The only place I figured it might go is where these 2 holes are drilled in the radiator support. If you look closely, there seems to be factory paint on the holes, they don't appear to be drilled after the car left the factory? Anyone with any knowledge please chime in.View attachment 496868 View attachment 496866 View attachment 496869 View attachment 496867

my 70 300 TNT U code a/c convert has the overflow in front of the rad but its mounted to the back of the headlight support, it looks factory-ish or at least like its been there for a long time

20211115_130703.jpg

20211115_130600.jpg

20211115_130623.jpg

Oh ok very good, always nice to have a reference, thanks for taking the time to share that!

Forgot to show that I grabbed the correct booster and cruise control vacuum hoses from the parts sedan also.
20211229_125806.jpg
20211230_120537.jpg

Last December thanks to heads up from @T-revorNobody and a few other buddies, I was able to acquire this roller.
View attachment 494999 View attachment 495000 View attachment 495001 View attachment 495002 View attachment 495003 View attachment 495004 View attachment 495005 View attachment 495006
SOLD - Not Mine 1972 Dodge Monaco Wagon - $1,250 - Damascus, Va.

Here and there over the summer I've been gathering parts. Last night it moved again under its own power in who knows how long. Figured I'd start this thread and begin posting pictures.
Nice save!

Your in-box is Full. I just wanted to ask you a couple Wagon questions. Thanks

Back