Another,AnotherAnother,Another 1961 FURY

image.jpeg
Here is a 71 v8 AMC hornet that I saved from the crusher. She is giving it the once over!

9C4DDD0B-A6B1-428C-8A1F-59703990A60D.jpeg
BA9D1ED1-25A0-46BD-AC58-F5BCE3BAD491.jpeg
A1385547-F38F-4041-A0CF-488D563F6448.jpeg
I’ve Almost pieced together two sets of Xram set ups. Need some cross over tubes still and will trade a 60 generator manifold for a 61 alternator manifold.
Have to clear dining room table for Xmas dinner now.

I have a few 61s, this one here,I nick named (the BLACK HOLE) because it's black,full of rust holes, and will be $ dumpster. It's a very unusual high option 61 that was owned by a Chrysler exc in 61. It's a GC 383 4v with 3speed Manuel which Plymouth did not advertise as available other than police package cars. According to Darrel Davis book there were only 47 383 4v 61 coupes built. (14 3 speeds) It has power swivel buckets,even though there not supposed to be available. (Maybe dealer installed?) power lwindows,HIFI stereo,rear defogger,bumper tie,aero wheel, and 1961 hurst yoyo floor shifter. I have seen a 61 dodge,motor trend magazine that had the same shifter installed in it by Chrysler? It also has 62 cast max wedge headers.
Here are a few pics of the 61 as I first found it. I was told by a freind to check out this ugly Edsel that was going to be scrapped. It was completely covered with brush. I removed 3.5 40 gallon garbage cans of rat chit and discovered max wedge manifolds.

View attachment 331740

View attachment 331741
She'll start, you'll need these. R. Lebay.

I've heard that to. It has that correct auto colum and the push button delete. Stick 61s got the round sparkle wheel and autos the square. Because the colum shift got in the way of the square wheel? Somebody mention once that the colum and wheel is black and the dash is red,but then when I started looking online about 50% or of red interior cars had black columns. I was told by a steering wheel recast guy that Chrysler had made more black wheels and was using the supply of what they had?
Lads --
Back in those days, dealers (to say nothing about factory execs) could do marvels with the "999" code. There was a stick '60 383 4V Belvedere 2-dr H/T back in my old home town of Pueblo, Colorado that I used to tangle with on occasion (with my SonoRamic Commando and TorqueFlite '60 Fury) and he had the Aero wheel with no PS. I talked with him a few times and while I thought the Aero wheel was super cool, I was more interested in the Hurst shifter that he had himself installed. So I don't know if he ordered the car with the wheel or installed it himself like he did the Hurst. But
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed

Last week I was scrapping at a freind of mine place who passed away a few years ago. He had told me had a hurst yoyo shifter but didn't know where he put it or if he even still had it? I was clearing out of the last sheds of scrap when I came across the shifter tucked away on the bottom shelf!!!!!!! From what I can tell this is one of the first hurst shifters made in 1960 to replace the knuckle busting manaul colum shifters. Magazine article says possiable dealer installed? Hurst yoyo shifter made for replacement floor shift for 60-62 mopars. I'm going to try to have a shift knob made in clear with sparkle to match aero wheel.
I now have 3 of these shifters from which I should be able to make 2 complete units

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Found this speaker reverb switch? in a stash of 61 parts!!!! Have anybody seen this speaker switch in a
61 before? It’s not in the owners manual?
Where would it be located? No doubt its from a 61???
I got this from parts book maybe?

BB81D62F-EF65-4AA5-BC40-7A65147BC7E1.jpeg

54C78ED3-9B69-4124-A6AF-2708A74F70B1.jpeg

CC83543A-6E6B-4BB0-961D-0A88E7D7E348.jpeg

Ken,

Based on the shape / style of the plastic "radio" bezel and the mounting bracket used to attach it would most likely be mounted on the lower part of the metal dash frame. And probably to the right of the steering column towards the radio. For these accessories a hole was drilled in the metal dash frame.

Here's an example of the same style bezel and switch mounted to dash for the "rear A/C". This should be similar to how the "radio" rear speaker switch is mounted.

Cool option to add to your project. Hope this helps
Chas

61-PLY_Dash-Switch.jpg

I have one NOS along with the rear speaker harness that will be going into my 61 convertible.
I also have a working "HI-FI" radio.

A 61 Plymouth with rear A/C !!!!! How rare?

Will, where do the rear speakers go on a 61 vert?
Is it in the center of of rear seat?

Back