Another Headlight Switch question

66furys

Reaction score
So, I removed what appears to be a new, 55 year old, switch, my 66 fury headlight switch. And, with my pea brain, I thought I could just Ohm from the B1 power inlet, to the various outlet points. But no, not in my day. I get a connection to the H tab for the headlights, only, nothing else. I am not sure of the logic for the tail lights......I would think this would be for all of the park lights to operate when the two levels of light switch are pulled, but nothing there. Also, I do not understand when the pink output of the B2 should be powered, but makes sense that this feed to the brake light switch would come on with any light setting?? Also, I was hoping that the panel dim switch or rotary rheostat would power up on the D terminal, but again, nada. So, any thoughts from those who have Ohmed these switches on what I am NOT finding would be of help....thanks.

So, I removed what appears to be a new, 55 year old, switch, my 66 fury headlight switch. And, with my pea brain, I thought I could just Ohm from the B1 power inlet, to the various outlet points. But no, not in my day. I get a connection to the H tab for the headlights, only, nothing else. I am not sure of the logic for the tail lights......I would think this would be for all of the park lights to operate when the two levels of light switch are pulled, but nothing there. Also, I do not understand when the pink output of the B2 should be powered, but makes sense that this feed to the brake light switch would come on with any light setting?? Also, I was hoping that the panel dim switch or rotary rheostat would power up on the D terminal, but again, nada. So, any thoughts from those who have Ohmed these switches on what I am NOT finding would be of help....thanks.
With 1970 switch
Voltage/current input at B1 & B2
B1 output is H for headlights
B2 output is R for taillights, side markers, and instrument panel flood lights.
Headlight switch ON, Continuity is
B1 to H
B2 to R

OK, I see what you are saying 1970, and agree. B2 seems to get power from the dome/stop/tail fuse, so right, power in, not out as I was trying to test. One might imagine that my brain would have asked why this terminal is labeled B, but I was looking for outputs, and not doing a good job of thinking. Thanks, I will continue to persevere.

B1 is only for headlamps
B2 will power up P(or R) and T (If so marked) and I (Instruments, through the ceramic rheostat assembly)

Following some of the recent revelations on this thing, including all of your great comments and more work on the diagrams, I have tried to Ohm from the B2 to these other pins. Have had some success, but not happy yet. Thanks for all of your help folks.

Following some of the recent revelations on this thing, including all of your great comments and more work on the diagrams, I have tried to Ohm from the B2 to these other pins. Have had some success, but not happy yet. Thanks for all of your help folks.
What are the unhappy Ohm measurements?

Once I had help with the point I was missing on the B2 power input, I looked at two things....and I may still be brain impaired. But, I wanted to find power out (via ohmmeter between pins) from both B1 and B2 to the other pins. So, I have found that I am getting clear rheostat resistance changes to the Inst pin, and also power from B2 to R tail lights. But, the D dome pin is not responding well, nor is the P pin. The B1 to H headlites works as it should, but I am not happy about not having some clear results on the P and D pins. One final point I learned on a YouTube GM video has to do with the dome light coming on at full rotation of the panel rheo, when that little pin on the rotating rheo kicks the switch for the dome lights. Last point here is that I am still having trouble with the extra connector on the outside of the HL switch.....the purple/Wh wire that seems to have some connection to the rheostat with a fine wire inside the metal housing of the switch....you can see. I am going to post a question in the electrical about this wire. It has a purple brother, both of which are taped together and run into the tail wire section going to the rear. The ONLY violet/wh I can find on diagrams are related to the wiper and this does not help me figure this wire out. Hmmm. Thanks again for comments.

I'm not familiar with the 1966 switch.
1970 has 4 spades
B1 > H
B2 > R
(I believe there's a 5th spade for cornering lights)
Can you post a pic of the back of the switch?

Nay, more. This purple with trace is still eluding my noggin.....goes to the rear maybe dome. But, there is already a D dome, as well as P for Park, and of course the Instru pins, as well as the four you are talking about. I dont think the older ones had cornering lights, but I am learning here.....after working on cars for about five decades. Problem is, brain fade now....oh well. And, that goes to posting pics. After a lot of years on forums of all kinds, I have never been able to move a photo over.....how bad is that.

Nay, more. This purple with trace is still eluding my noggin.....goes to the rear maybe dome. But, there is already a D dome, as well as P for Park, and of course the Instru pins, as well as the four you are talking about. I dont think the older ones had cornering lights, but I am learning here.....after working on cars for about five decades. Problem is, brain fade now....oh well. And, that goes to posting pics. After a lot of years on forums of all kinds, I have never been able to move a photo over.....how bad is that.
My experience goes back to 1969. We need help:
@Badvert65
@detmatt
@413

I bought my first mopar in 1962 before I got a license.....then pulled and rebuilt the six cylinder....with difficulty, I will admit.

Yes, he did add a bit above for my issues.....thanks to both of you. Although, as I look over this list of cars above @detmatt, I am jealous....wow. My adventures were drag racing my early cars in HS, and now am trying to go back.....if I can figure out the wiring on this plymouth.....which is becoming more questionable. I now have the entire wiring harness out, the dash completely out, and can just opine on which way to go now. Heater, radio, gauges, ignition and lighting......what color was that wire. Maybe one day. And, to my surprise, the parts are not so easy.....a horn switch that is no where to be found, heater cables that I am going to try to make myself since they are available for chevy, and more adventures tomorrow. But, this is why I got this car. Onward.

Back