Not open for further replies.

bigmoparjeff

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine.

Can't seem to add a link to the add for some reason, but here it is:

1978 Dodge Magnum 2-door hardtop
Lyle, WA

19696437248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=3b2858&_nc_ohc=m6ZFXr98hEwAX_0SDb6&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-6.jpg

01639847936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=uNXQIQcs9YIAX_2dZBU&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-5.jpg

46521991168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=H_-3Epw8ZL8AX8bA30P&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-5.jpg

68350787584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=HJzwXMQDaesAX9wkLVs&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-5.jpg

Add Copy:

When was the last time you saw one of these?! The 78 Dodge Magnum two-door hardtop. With leather interior, 98,000 original miles on 360 engine. Automatic transmission, new rear tires,on factory aluminum wheels. Runs great, new exhaust. This is a solid older car, I’m the second owner. It’s perfect for a restoration or just drive it! Price: $1300 firm Please call Fred at [hidden information] if interested. Please do not email, posting for dad.

360 magnums do not generate much collector interest, but this is a pretty nice one given its age, and the price is realistic. Lyle Washington is out in the middle of high desert nowhere so it might take a while to sell this car. Car is a rust free western unit and these cars made pretty good short track racers. Aerodynamics were awful at the high speeds on a long track. Richard Petty described them as "Undrivable at 190mph". He gave up on his Magnum.

Dave

Not mine.

Lyle, WA

View attachment 356438

View attachment 356439

View attachment 356440

View attachment 356441

Add Copy:

When was the last time you saw one of these?! The 78 Dodge Magnum two-door hardtop. With leather interior, 98,000 original miles on 360 engine. Automatic transmission, new rear tires,on factory aluminum wheels. Runs great, new exhaust. This is a solid older car, I’m the second owner. It’s perfect for a restoration or just drive it! Price: $1300 firm Please call Fred at [hidden information] if interested. Please do not email, posting for dad.
Wow !

Not mine.

Lyle, WA

View attachment 356438

View attachment 356439

View attachment 356440

View attachment 356441

Add Copy:

That’s not why he gave up. There were only two tracks on the schedule in 78 were speeds topped 190. 4 races. And he knew a new car was comming with the downsizing. The Pontiacs he raced in the early 80’s weren’t as aero as the T bird yet he stayed with that car.

Looks good for the money. Be a great candidate for a big block swap and a set of Cragar SS's

Ever since I seen this car in person at a race shop in Charlotte NC I always wanted to build a show car replica!
42magnum.jpg
42magnum.jpg

360 magnums do not generate much collector interest

I disagree, a '79 Magnum GT with the E-58 is more collectable than a Magnum XE with a 400 motor. When they are available how many XE Magnums are out ther compared to GT Magnums.

100_0506.JPG

I think the point is that to date these cars are not putting up very high dollar numbers which is usually a good indicator of collector interest for either the GT or the XE. They might well do so in the future, but like a lot of things "collectable" it is a crap shoot. Malaise era smog motors were not very popular with anybody except government regulators. But sometimes cars that were not very popular become good collector pieces because very few survive. If I owned a GT or XE, I would probably keep it, but I would be in no hurry to go out and buy one. Thanks for your input.

Dave

That’s not why he gave up. There were only two tracks on the schedule in 78 were speeds topped 190. 4 races. And he knew a new car was comming with the downsizing. The Pontiacs he raced in the early 80’s weren’t as aero as the T bird yet he stayed with that car.

What you say is also true, Petty gave the 5 magnum cars they built to his son and all 5 wound up totaled on the track.

Dave

What you say is also true, Petty gave the 5 magnum cars they built to his son and all 5 wound up totaled on the track.

Dave
Yep & that’s another interesting thing. If the car was so bad why let his teenage son drive it at Daytona in his first race ?

Yep & that’s another interesting thing. If the car was so bad why let his teenage son drive it at Daytona in his first race ?

The problem with the NASCAR Magnum was that it needed a bigger rear spoiler. NASCAR rules at the time only permitted spoilers as wide as the trunk lid. The magnum needed a bigger spoiler to maintain stability at speed, but NASCAR would not grant exceptions.

They were racers and the kid had to learn on something. Richard made no bones about his dislike of the car. I suspect his son was just glad to have a ride.

Dave

The problem with the NASCAR Magnum was that it needed a bigger rear spoiler. NASCAR rules at the time only permitted spoilers as wide as the trunk lid. The magnum needed a bigger spoiler to maintain stability at speed, but NASCAR would not grant exceptions.
Richard asked nascar for a half inch more & nascar said no. That was that. Still so many of the tracks in 78 were small & even on the mid size tracks the tire where more of a factor than Aero.

They were racers and the kid had to learn on something. Richard made no bones about his dislike of the car. I suspect his son was just glad to have a ride.

Dave
Yes he did but why Daytona ? Rockingham & Martinsville were the next two races on the schedule. PE Cars always ran good at those two tracks & Bristol & North Wilkesboro, Darlington were comming up too. The magnums Aero issues made no difference on those tracks. Much better places for the kid to learn than the 190 mph track he claims the car drove so bad at. That’s all I’m saying.

Yes he did but why Daytona ? Rockingham & Martinsville were the next two races on the schedule. PE Cars always ran good at those two tracks & Bristol & North Wilkesboro, Darlington were comming up too. The magnums Aero issues made no difference on those tracks. Much better places for the kid to learn than the 190 mph track he claims the car drove so bad at. That’s all I’m saying.

Probably not what I would start my kid at, but then Lee Petty put his kid, Richard in his hand me down '57 Olds racer on a long track, so maybe it was kind of a family tradition. The Olds is at the Petty museum. Interesting car, it had a removable hard top so it could run in the vert races of the day and in the more conventional races with the top bolted on.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back