Anti-Theft System for Metric Mopar's

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
In my Scat Pack thread I posted an article about Scat Pack and Hellcat cars are headed to the top of the list of stolen cars. The thieves are stealing the cars by comprising the FOB data and from what I've been told it's quite easy to steal these cars.

I came across this anti-theft system and they claim that 5 million cars have this system and not one car reported stolen. I have never heard of them. Anybody here have it or know about it?

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Anybody hear of any system that can protect the metric Mopar's from theft?

Lojack really isn't a system that protects the car from GETTING stolen. Rather it's a system that might help you find the car AFTER it's been stolen.

That Ravelco item was around in the '90s! There are about 6 different "keys" (end caps). There were many opportunists that made the rounds of the new car dealers (back then) selling them kits for installations. Which I built for our new car dept PDI people to install. It's no more than a fancy way of interrupting the starting circuit, but with the correct "key", it all works. NOT WORTH IT!!! The new car dept sold them for over $100.00, but the basic cost was like $15.00, so they made some good spiff money on them . . . which was needed when the customer lost their "key" and had to return to the selling dealer to get one (IF they were available). To their credit, they didn't sell close-by dealers the same kits! BUT, after the initial sales reps soon found out it was a losing market, they vamoosed and another sales rep came in, just about the time the complaints started happening. So they left as the original sales people had gone on to other markets of the USA (we never heard from them again). End result, we ended up replacing them with a basic keyless entry system and the customers were much happier with that!

Personally, I wound NOT put anything like that on a modern car, period!!! Might cause failures of other systems in the vehicle, which is not good. On a 90s car, most worked ok, but even some of them didn't!

Installation? Have to cut wires under the instrument panel, then find a convenient place nearby to place the key receptacle. The key must match how the item is wired-in on the vehicle. If the wrong color coded wires (for the particular key) are used, nothing will work as the key completes the circuit for the starter to work.

The issue with Chrysler's anti-theft system is well-known and NOT specific to the vehicles referenced! It's been a "known issue" for a few years now.

And, for the record, we didn't make any money in parts on getting the units ready for installation. Although I wore out a few diag cutters snipping the wires not used.

So, I highly recommend doing something else than the referenced item!! With all of the computerization on modern vehicles (of which Chryslers seem to be more picky than some others), doing ANYTHING not factory-authorized to the wiring harness can void any related warranties.

With the smaller numbers of Hellcats and such built, it seems they would be stolen for parts and powertrain items much more than other vehicles. Any owner who has no theft insurance on such a car And/or parks it in a high-theft area, knowingly . . . .

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

GONE IN 15 SECONDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BYE BYE >>>>>>>

Can't tow Scat Packs and Hellcats according to the owners manual. Must be hauled on a rollback. But then again if some scumbag is stealing one of these cars with a tow truck he probably doesn't care if he F's the car up that he is stealing.

Can't tow Scat Packs and Hellcats according to the owners manual. Must be hauled on a rollback. But then again if some scumbag is stealing one of these cars with a tow truck he probably doesn't care if he F's the car up that he is stealing.

I suspect the "no tow" issue might relate to the various spoilers/splitters under the front bumper PLUS any clearance issues near the rear valence/tail pipe outlets. Their ride height being a bit lower might also influence that warning.

The '77-'81 Z/28s had an angular slice on the end of the rear pipes. That was there to keep those pipes from scraping the ground when the car is put on a roll-back wrecker, by observation. With the factory tire size. Otherwise, the rear pipes would dig into the ground, flattened on the ends, or worse (especially when coming OFF the wrecker).

In another thread in another forum, a high school guy had a Challenger SRT for his senior year in high school. Seems that it was running fast enough in the qtr mile to break the lh half-shaft. I remember that he was getting irate at the dealer for "damaging the front spoiler" when it was towed. As if it was THEIR fault and THEY should fix it. BTAIM.

CBODY67

Theft is the reason that I dont take the Scat Pack to Milwaukee. I'm thinking that the area that I would be parked at wouldn't have the high tech thieves to be able to steal the car. Then I also think that the scumbags that are stealing these cars sees mine and follows me for a day or two and finds out where I park at night and then comes during the night to steal it.

Wondering if one of those Internet-accessible tracking devices (like many trucking/delivery companies put on their company vehicles, or one to put on personal vehicles to track where "the kids are and at what speed") might work? If some of these services might have some optional extra to detect vehicle theft? Or an OnStar-type capability that would disable the vehicle when theft is reported?

Got to be something better than the Ravelco-type deal!

CBODY67

There is a system on the car that I can call to unlock the doors. Maybe they can kill the power to the car if I report it stolen. They are suppose to be able to send help to my location so they must have a factory system onboard to tell where the current location is. They already send me a monthly report on what the air pressure in the tires are and whether the engine or transmission needs any kind of service.

@Dobalovr

Is there anything available as far as tracking the car's location or killing the power to the car if I activate the supplemental UConnect system and report the car stolen?

On the GM-OnStar system, a subscriber along with a law enforcement officer can contact them via phone. Then the officer can request vehicle location information, get it, have police units shadow the vehicle, then send a message to the driver to pull over or let the police unit execute a traffic stop. Subscriber ID number and the law enforcement officer's badge number would probably be needed for all of this to happen.

AND, you can subscribe for the vehicle condition advisories, too, after the initial ownership period.

Back to Chrysler stuff now . . .

CBODY67

There is a system on the car that I can call to unlock the doors. Maybe they can kill the power to the car if I report it stolen. They are suppose to be able to send help to my location so they must have a factory system onboard to tell where the current location is. They already send me a monthly report on what the air pressure in the tires are and whether the engine or transmission needs any kind of service.
If you have the app that is telling you your mileage, tire pressure, oil life, etc., there is already a locate my car tab.

20190804_172845.jpg

Both of my vehicles have that.

I'm going to sign up for that service.

Hey guys,
We are looking at security for our 77 NYB, car is garage kept but it does have times of vulnerability such as outside repair shops on high visibility roads and will be a daily driver to school in about a year. Didn't think any of the high-tech solutions like Cobra alarm systems fit our needs, not looking for keyless entry, etc. We do have a LoJack in our 08 Challenger, back in the day they installed that right at the house, now looks like have to go to the Dealership. We thought we found an answer in Ravelco, but just for due diligence we searched this forum for any experiences with that and found this thread. We always appreciate input from CBODY67 since you give us good detailed info backed by historical experience, and was wondering if a low-tech car like this would be a good choice for the Ravelco or just try to do our own kill switch plus a LoJack? Ravelco runs about 500 bucks per their regional installer Chuck Wigham.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

just try to do our own kill switch
If you interrupt your ignition wire to the ballast resistor with a kill switch it will act like a bad ballast resistor start up on start then shut off when released to run. It's not going to save your column from lock pull or smash, but I imagine it will mess with thief's head enough to bail. Easy to do and only you will know where the switch is hidden.
Needless to say Bob this will not work on your new cars. I think something could be wired to remove the starter /relay power without affecting the whole ignition circuit. They can clone a key fob to work, but if power is interrupted to starter it will not turn over.
Again messing them up enough to just bail.

If you have the choice get the manual trans. You would not believe the many stories within the DPD of attempted car-jackings that were defeated due to the punk’s inability to drive a stick!

If you have the choice get the manual trans. You would not believe the many stories within the DPD of attempted car-jackings that were defeated due to the punk’s inability to drive a stick!

Redeye's only come with 8 speed auto txsm's.

In a somewhat "low tech" environment, the basic keyless entry system would be used to let the vehicle know an authorized user was approaching and would enter the vehicle. THEN use another circuit and relay to complete the starter circuit, like the existing parking brake light switch (parking brake applied and "BRAKE" light illuminated) or seat belt reminder light circuit (lh frt seat belt must be latched).

An observed issue with a non-OEM-production (or an OEM-branded accessory) keyless entry alarm system is that some companies might look like good, long-term companies, but get bought out every so often and then their product line changes and/or is obsolsted, which can affect long-term customer support.

A more higher-tech solution might be to install a vehile tracker system which YOU can track in real time. That you can access with a computer or via your cell phone. Maybe even TWO such unique systems, so that if the possible thief finds one, they'll perceive that it's the only one. Also, there are some aftermarket OnSTAR systems, too, with a unique inside rear view mirror (similar to a factory GM OnSTAR mirror). Not sure if those systems have the "vehicle stop" mode in them as the OEM systems do? But vehicle tracking should be a part of the system. A discretely-placed motorcycle battery could be used to power these systems, for good measure, with a "charge" circuit from the alternator to keep them operational should the main battery be disconnected for some reason.

Back when vehicle alarm systems were all aftermarket, a friend worked for Specific Cruise and they were considering how to build a good alarm system. One suggestion was to use proximity sensors (probably radar at that time) to detect physical movement near the vehicle, then play a tune ("Star Wars" theme was one they mentioned, plus a warning dialogue) until the threat went away. One's imagination might go wild with some of these considerations! Especially for an "after-theft" message about in-car video and vehicle tracking, plus "Park the vehicle safely and nobody will get hurt, as the owner is one big person" advisory.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back