Any all original/survivor 68 440 TNT pics?

Isn't the tapered snorkel on the air cleaner an Imperial-only thing? The '66 and '67 air cleaners had the same style snorkels, as to their size, length, and style of the end. '68 was different, with the "inserts" and smoother entry ends. CAP usually had the take-off fittings for the breather tube to attach to.

One thing to remember on the engine paint, after the basic long block was put together, with exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, spark plugs, AND ground cable attached to the lh front intake bolt/throttle return spring bracket, that whole assembly was "fogged". The ground cable, about 6" of so from the attaching bolt, was painted, too, as it was "in the way", but NOT the whole thing. From that point, the engine went to get its "final dress" of alternator, power steering pump, distributor, carb, linkages, etc. to ready it for installation into the vehicle. The paint was there basically to prevent rust, NOT really for looks. Which is why you might find some runs on the valve covers. Making it look "too good" would be over-restoration, if that matters. Nothing was masked-off, just "fogged-on". Which would explain the paint on the fuel pump casting and not on the cad-plated areas. The hex on the spark plug and part of the ceramic, etc.

"Magnum", "Super Commando", and "TNT" (1967 and newer) were the 440/375 motors. The orig "TNT" was in '66 Chryslers, with 365horserpower and the normal 440 cam. FWIW. There was probably a divisional sales name for the 440/350, but NOT the same as the 440/375 engines.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

"Magnum", "Super Commando", and "TNT" (1967 and newer) were the 440/375 motors. The orig "TNT" was in '66 Chryslers, with 365horserpower and the normal 440 cam. FWIW. There was probably a divisional sales name for the 440/350, but NOT the same as the 440/375 engines.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Firepower was the term used by Chrysler for their engines. Most years reference the Firepower TNT.
70_Chrysler_383_800.jpg
70_Chrysler_440_Exhaust_600.jpg
66_Chrysler_Engines_800.jpg

That was a brand recognition thing that Chrysler started with the original 331 Hemi which was their first performance oriented V8. The kept the Firepower designation on most of the higher performance engines until about 1970. Customers who bought the early Firepower engines would remember the name when looking at newer cars,.

Dave

Isn't the tapered snorkel on the air cleaner an Imperial-only thing?

Nope, our '67 440 Super Commando had the dual tapered snorkels. No crinkle paint, just semi gloss. The base had the AFB 4 7/16" air horn opening, the top and base was a slightly larger overall diameter than the '68 & '69. No nipple on the air cleaner or oil filler.

It's a 67 that was sold in CA, they had an oil cap breather. 69 has a much larger front indent and also accepts the larger carb opening.

I noticed the smaller indent but didn't make much of it. Only seen the notch on the '67 and '68. Always more to learn. :thankyou:

There is an older couple that sell reproduction decals and stickers at Carlisle every year. They are in Ohio.
Bleil’s Nostalgia Decals

Thanks. I am gonna have to check these folks out this year there as we need some core support decals for our b-body project, and a trunk jack sticker for our turquoise 4 door hardtop.

that air cleaner was tobe gray in 67 , but the prior owner liked it black . it also had the engine re built and they used the blue instead of the correct turquoise paint .

My 66 TNT has a decal not a pie plate and round, non tapered snorkels.

Member PH27L7

I'm not trying to be critical, but you REALLY need to find some original Spark Plug wire Guide Brackets. Those manifolds will Toast the wires in short order.

Bruce

Member PH27L7

I'm not trying to be critical, but you REALLY need to find some original Spark Plug wire Guide Brackets. Those manifolds will Toast the wires in short order.

Bruce
Actually those are the original spark wire brackets. Previous owner butchered the wire routing, this was as I bought it before any work by me was done. I sold the car 25 years ago. Obviously there are various things that are not correct such as engine paint, heater hoses / routing, voltage regulator, battery, etc. It represents a mostly untouched original matching # engine compartment that was purchased from the original owner but not one that will win concourse show points. The air cleaner and all associated hardware are completely original as-built including pie pan, breather, and hoses with the special clamps.

Back