Any carpet experts here?

Jon O.

Reaction score
Asking here because I have heard so many different opinions from other people.
I have early 70's two tone shag carpet. The pad has turned into nothing but dust, so it feels like walking on the hardwood floor underneath it. I want to buy a new pad, but I'm unsure what weight or kind to buy. I've tried to look it up, and ask other people but there are so many opinions that I'm somewhat lost. I'm looking for something that will make the carpet last as long as possible.

Jute padding, made just for carper underlayment. I would also recommend sound deadner placed directly on the floor pans under the jute and carpet.

Search online or most trim shops can supply you.

Sorry I should have been a little clearer. This is residential carpet, not carpet in a car.

I was wondering what kind of car came with two tone shag, and why you were walking in your car. I'm no expert, however every shag carpet I've ever pulled up had the standard foam carpet underlay which, over time, as you've found, turns to dust. I grew up with green shag, in photos it looks like grass.

I was wondering what kind of car came with two tone shag, and why you were walking in your car. I'm no expert, however every shag carpet I've ever pulled up had the standard foam carpet underlay which, over time, as you've found, turns to dust. I grew up with green shag, in photos it looks like grass.
Yes, i guess ill just use whatever is on sale then. I was curious if anybody in that line of work had some knowledge to share. I got so many mixed opinions from other people.
And i know exactly what you mean about green carpet. Our entire living room, dining room, stairs and hallway and bathroom have green sculptured carpet from way back when. The bedrooms have the two tone shag, gold and orange. The shag is so thick that my dyson gets stuck trying to sweep it, so i keep an old vacuum upstairs just for the bedrooms.

Jute padding, made just for carper underlayment. I would also recommend sound deadner placed directly on the floor pans under the jute and carpet.

Search online or most trim shops can supply you.

Need some sound deadener for our upstairs neighbors

Get the heaviest padding you can afford. Do not get construction grade anything unless you are unloading the house.
Carpet is kind of like linen. The ticket the weave the better it will wear and look. And feel on your feet.
That with the better padding will resist "paths" forming in the carpet.
And keep it clean. Not just vacuumed but professionally cleaned regularly.

Gold and orange sculptured shag....so 70s!
I have some in a bedroom that was moved from the living room by my parents. I hate it but my granddaughter says not to replace it!
And never carpet a bathroom. You don't want water getting to the subfloor.

Get the heaviest padding you can afford. Do not get construction grade anything unless you are unloading the house.
Carpet is kind of like linen. The ticket the weave the better it will wear and look. And feel on your feet.
That with the better padding will resist "paths" forming in the carpet.
And keep it clean. Not just vacuumed but professionally cleaned regularly.

Gold and orange sculptured shag....so 70s!
I have some in a bedroom that was moved from the living room by my parents. I hate it but my granddaughter says not to replace it!
And never carpet a bathroom. You don't want water getting to the subfloor.
Thanks. I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon because all of it is much denser than anything you can buy now. I always keep it swept, and take my shoes off at the door. Although professional cleaning is a rarity, I sweep it at least every other day, sometimes daily. A lot of the orange has sun faded, so it looks mostly like gold carpet, until you fold the fibers over and look at it. I don't like the bathroom carpet either, but this drafty house would be too cold without it. I keep that swept the most.
Ill get the better pad. I was hoping the difference would make it last longer. -Thanks!

Back