Any pocket watch guys on here? Old train watch

mopar440

Reaction score
Found in a thrift store find, looks like it was painted red at some point, cant seem to find any info online, don't know if it's silver

IMG_20201127_144351110.jpg

IMG_20201127_144326064.jpg

Do you have the movement for it, or just the case? Cases and movements, oftentimes were not made by the same company. You had many different casing options with the purchase of a movement.
Most likely silver plated. I think the red color you are mentioning is the result of worn off silver plating, exposing the metal underneath. Are there any inscriptions on the inside of the case?

Last edited:
I don't have the watch, and I don't see anything inscribed, I didn't want to clean it came with the cover tho

I could be wrong but judging from the crustiness of the winding crown and damage to the side of the case, I suspect this is an object that was buried and became a detection find.
Not total junk however because it still has its bow. On auction sites, you see many pocket watches with missing bows... and loose original bows are not easy to find. Yours looks like it would be a size 16 or a size 18. I bet someone would buy it for the bow and the crown, and possibly the back cover if damage is limited to the plating.

IMG_20201127_144326064.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but judging from the crustiness of the winding crown and damage to the side of the case, I suspect this is an object that was buried and became a detection find.
Not total junk however because it still has its bow. On auction sites, you see many pocket watches with missing bows... and loose original bows are not easy to find. Yours looks like it would be a size 16 or a size 18. I bet someone would buy it for the bow and the crown, and possibly the back cover if damage is limited to the plating.

View attachment 418667
Interesting, thanks for the tip! Any ballpark idea on age?

Back