any rat rod c-bodies out there?

I don't see too many rat-rods around the Mid-Atlantic area. They do show up when there is a Good Guys show in the region and I think they have a show in Ocean City, Maryland during the summer.

There are bad apples in EVERY bunch.

R--R--s are a pox on society. They give true hotrodding, and the car hobby in general, a bad name. Period, No socially-redeeming factor to any r--r--...a term I find so bad now, I can't type the term out.

ALWAYS be mindful that there is a HUGE difference between a custom or a true hot rod, and a r--r--. Massive difference. Night and day. Talent versus hack. Safe versus dangerous. Sweet versus crap. You get the idea.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I get it but I'm not sure you do. You can not like them but its ignorant of you to say what you do about them.

What do I not "get"? A r--r-- is not necessarily every car with primer, painted wheels and one seat.. It IS more than likely that car you see at the show with a variety of parts that are NOT car parts, being used AS car parts! I saw a R--r-- at a show last year that had a pair of COMBINATION WRENCHES welded as part of the steering linkage, as well as a socket u-joint being used as part of the steering column linkage! This isn't "art' or a clever use of household tools - it is extremely dangerous!

I DO "get it".

Let's highlight what I'm talking about...Mind you, this car came out of a so-called "professional hotrod shop"!!!:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ilure-dont-do-this.698605/page-4#post-7771345

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/ELpolacko/library/1932%20Hudson%20Chad%20Funk?sort=2&page=1

As I said, there's bad apples in every bunch.

What do I not "get"? A r--r-- is not necessarily every car with primer, painted wheels and one seat.. It IS more than likely that car you see at the show with a variety of parts that are NOT car parts, being used AS car parts! I saw a R--r-- at a show last year that had a pair of COMBINATION WRENCHES welded as part of the steering linkage, as well as a socket u-joint being used as part of the steering column linkage! This isn't "art' or a clever use of household tools - it is extremely dangerous!

I DO "get it".

Let's highlight what I'm talking about...Mind you, this car came out of a so-called "professional hotrod shop"!!!:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ilure-dont-do-this.698605/page-4#post-7771345

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/ELpolacko/library/1932%20Hudson%20Chad%20Funk?sort=2&page=1

Thanks Patrick that's rad .. Like real gone Daddy-O

Hey, so I'm new to the site. I love alot of the cars on here and have ton of respect for what you guys have to go through to restore these since there aren't really aftermarket parts for these c-bodies and original parts a almost extinct. But my question is does anyone rat rod or hot rod these things out or is that a no no here? I see very nice cars but most aren't really my style. Am I in the wrong crowd?
Hey welcome to the forum, I wouldn't consider mine a ratrod, more of a Frankenstein,but here are some pics of my 68 Newport, don't let anyone put down your ideas for a car. There is a lot of useful advice on this forum, I have been helped a ton. http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...8-Chrysler-Newport-Custom&p=144249#post144249

Longtime rodding scribe Pat Ganahl took a broad look at the rat rod trend and had this to say:
"I see what are referred to as Rat Rods today comprising three elements: First are the traditional rods and customs. Those are cars built the way rods were built in the '30s, '40s, and early '50s, with a primary emphasis on low-buck and home-built, using period-correct components ranging from flathead to nailhead engines, wide whitewall tires to skinny blackwall bias-plies, and black primer to hand-rubbed paint.
"Second are what I personally call Rat Rods, as a positive term... They're artistic, fun, and sensational reinterpretations of late-'40s/early-'50s hot rodding as a culture that includes music, clothing, hairstyles, and tattoos. The cars are low, loud, chopped...with giant rear tires, lots of carburetors, open pipes, and tall gearshifts.
"Third are...what I derisively call Crap Rods today. They've always been part of the mix, unavoidably. I take exception to those who think that shoddy construction is somehow cool, or worse, those who know they can throw a bunch of junk parts together and peddle it as a cool rat rod to some inexperienced buyer who doesn't know the difference."

Matter of Definition. Matt thinks of def. no2, while Patrick tends to no.3
I thought RR was always the "crap rod" no.3 until I read These alternative explainations.

I would need some convincing that back in the day hand rubbed primer was anything but an intermediate stage while waiting for funds to paint. I can appreciate a nice vintage HR but don't really care for RR's. I much prefer a well maintained stock survivor. My .02.

My Dad was a hot-rodder in the '50s. His cars looked nothing at all like the so-called "r--r--s" that claim to emulate the '50s rod look. His were painted, had chrome, complete interiors...again, no way were the hot rods of the time anything like r--r--s.

Here's another example of "WTF???"...at least, they have one color going for them...

frank-jpg.2806427

Last edited:
Ha, a very interesting thread. There seems to be some amount of ambiguity surrounding the R-R term and it would seem that it is down to the interpretation of the individual as to what a R-R should look, sound and perform like.
To me they should look like an aged or weathered 50's era rod which has over time 'sunk' into itself like an old abandoned vehicle sitting in a paddock.
However the catch for me is that the driveline, suspension, brakes and body although appear ratty are in fact very solid and well serviced components. My 0.02c

My Dad was a hot-rodder in the '50s. His cars looked nothing at all like the so-called "r--r--s" that claim to emulate the '50s rod look. His were painted, had chrome, complete interiors...again, no way were the hot rods of the time anything like r--r--s.

Here's another example of "WTF???"...at least, they have one color going for them...

frank-jpg.2806427

Ok so, what's wrong with those?

Last edited:
Hot Rod did a few articles over a few issues that showed first, a Crap rod that they said was dangerous and did not endorse anyone building something that unsafe. They did the article for the cool factor, looks that the car exhibited. The next 2 were much safer and had proper craftsmanship. I don't remember what any of them were, except that they were all low, primered and not the most practical thing to drive. They knew it was a love it or hate it deal with readers, but there was enough interest in the subject.

Most of the RAT RODS (spelled out for you Patrick) I've seen were POS heaps. I have seen some impressive work done to a few, but as stated, purposely distressed paint and panels made them something else. To me at least.

It seems that nowadays a hot rod had to be a riddler winning car to use the term. I thought the old Hot rods were thrown together cars, using whatever they could get their hands on to go fast. A complete interior in a old t bucket isn't to complex, what, a seat? I thought those pesky rat rodders were paying homage to the hot rods of yesteryear (at least to begin with) by forgoing non essential items like paint and proper upholstery. I did find it funny to drive past 5-6 rat rods returning from a car show, all being towed! There's faith in what you built.

Overall, I don't care if someone wants to build one, it doesn't affect me.

A lot of opinions on this. I mainly just asked cause everything I've seen so far on here for c bodies is either in middle of restoration or restored to original looks plus typical stuff like drum to disc conversions etc. But not really seeing any obvious customs or hot rods of these. But maybe I'm not looking in right threads.

I don't think Mopar C-bodies (any of them) lend themselves to look good in ratrod apparel. Any full size passenger car in fact.

A lot of opinions on this. I mainly just asked cause everything I've seen so far on here for c bodies is either in middle of restoration or restored to original looks plus typical stuff like drum to disc conversions etc. But not really seeing any obvious customs or hot rods of these. But maybe I'm not looking in right threads.
there are a couple on here that have been lowered and some with custom paint. show us an example of what you had in mind. kind of hard to picture having never seen a full size rat rod.

Nothing stays the same.
In the 50's a guy would pull parts off salvage cars to build his "hot rod". No money and no aftermarket was the motivator for that type of car, not to make a statement. As time went on the "hot rod" became a "street rod" with the introduction of aftermarket stuff and more attention to detail and nice finishes. It got to the point of streetrods being like Camaros ........ "what color is yours...?

I see "rat rods" as a reversal of the street rod trend, back to the hot rod, not from necessity, but from a desire to express, that has gone viral.

None of the above was ever interesting to me, but I have seen some very innovative concepts come out of each stage. As well as a bunch of POS's.

You have to ask??? I figured the narrowed semi axle, wheels and tires would've told you. At least it's one color (NOT "rust"), I'll give it that.

So narrowed axles make a vehicle unsafe?

:sFl_america2:

602938508.jpg

and a few to make the peanut gallery happy;

eDSC_6100.jpg

101_2849.jpg

thumb_001_370_277.jpg

603972_18920124_1957_Studebaker_Rat%2bRod.jpg

th

602938508.jpg

101_2849.jpg

thumb_001_370_277.jpg

Back