Any reproduction rear windshield for 2 door ‘68 New Yorker?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Moving along slowly but surely in my backyard build - reviving a long abandoned ‘68 New Yorker. Tomorrow Apex Auto Glass is sending techs to remove the front and rear windshield/ glass on my 2 door fast top. They are solid and in tact - BUT, in the event that they break… is there a source for new glass? I’m mainly concerned for the rear window! I would appreciate any input.

4E413AB4-DE1A-467D-9595-424324B42BA0.jpeg

Rear window is not available new, but it's glued in and pretty easy to get out. Also, since it's tempered glass, it's much stronger than the front windshield.

Front is a different story. Any small defect like a rock chip or deep scratch will make the glass very fragile. It's gasketed in. The best way to remove it is to cut the gasket. Reproduction gaskets are available. It's also easier to remove the trim if you cut out the gasket first. Front windshield is available new, but they are expensive. They were around $750 before Covid, so wouldn't be surprised if they are over a grand now.

Jeff

Do you know where I can get the front windshield?
Might let the glass company do the acquiring of the windshield, if needed. Might cost a little more to do it that way, but that way, THEY know what is going on and can coordinate getting it and getting it installed. With the new gasket you provide, or perhaps they have a source on those too? In any event, the more things they can supply AND warranty, if needed, the better things can be on your side of the deal.

Glad to see that things are progressing!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I bought one for my’68 Polara .2dr HT. I should have the receipt somewhere. I found it googling.

Metro Auto Parts Market.
I don’t have the price, but seemed to be around $500 including $170 freight to ND.
Was shipped from JR Distributor international, Montclair,CA.

Was around $700+ when the seal was added (different supplier)
image.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure your glass installer follows the directions with the seal or it will leak. I don’t care how many truck windows with seals they do. My installer had to come back as he didn’t think he needed any sealer in the groove of the gasket where water wants to wick between the seal and glass. No issues now.

I got a beautiful used original from Murray Park for the same price as a reproduction piece. The reproductions are not as thick as the originals and I bet he’d have a rear glass too.

Might let the glass company do the acquiring of the windshield, if needed. Might cost a little more to do it that way, but that way, THEY know what is going on and can coordinate getting it and getting it installed. With the new gasket you provide, or perhaps they have a source on those too? In any event, the more things they can supply AND warranty, if needed, the better things can be on your side of the deal.

Glad to see that things are progressing!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you! The person I spoke with on the phone said they do cannot source a new window (they did a quick search through their supplier I think) so they just warned me of a possibility the window may break but they’d be safe as possible!

Make sure your glass installer follows the directions with the seal or it will leak. I don’t care how many truck windows with seals they do. My installer had to come back as he didn’t think he needed any sealer in the groove of the gasket where water wants to wick between the seal and glass. No issues now.

Thank you for all that great info! I will be sure to make sure they follow the correct installation procedure. I will take a look into the window supplier should things go wrong. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

I got a beautiful used original from Murray Park for the same price as a reproduction piece. The reproductions are not as thick as the originals and I bet he’d have a rear glass too.

Good idea, I didn’t think he did glass… I’ll have to give him a call should worst come to worst!

I did a clean up of the windows. Poor old sweetheart hasn’t been cleaned up in decades. I sure haven’t cleaned them in the time I’ve owned it. Made a big difference! All I did was dilute vinegar and water and used some lint free towels to wipe them off. Of course I blasted them off with water first too… Super happy with the results! Now I’m just imaging how it will look when the new metal is welded in and the roof is a complete and solid unit once more… then the roof will be painted and I’ll give the car a complete detail (Foam bath, clay bar, wet sand, buff and polish and ceramic coat.) Not too far away now :)

BEFORE

BDDB28A1-B5A9-4D97-A6AD-35CC4AEA9325.jpeg

EACC61D7-7D01-4E37-806B-09F090BE071C.jpeg

AFTER!

84804D52-509C-49A6-AF7C-6086272CEF7E.jpeg

38ECB17F-7EC6-410A-B14A-A013DC241F1C.jpeg

I should see if Murray has some scratch free side windows. Mine are pretty hazy. Yours look great.

I assume that you picked it up in person, since he's not all that far from Detroit.

Shipping used glass is a bit risky, and probably quite expensive.

Jeff

I spent hours polishing. They were deep enough to catch a fingernail. I have a thread about it somewhere. Is not an easy task as they are curved.

I assume that you picked it up in person, since he's not all that far from Detroit.

Shipping used glass is a bit risky, and probably quite expensive.

Jeff
Actually he dropped it off at my shop…:rolleyes:

Back