Any Rifle Experts here? Avid Shooters?

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to get into some longer distance 600YD Plus range shooting. I wanted to see if there is anyone here. Other forums are generally A^#holes.......

Thanks

Me thinkest your issues are two fold to start with. 1st, finding a range that will fill those distance requirements SAFELY(regardless of Military branch, 500 yards is about it 'cept for ah few different special forces units and groups in a very few specially designated areas around the country) an 2nd, choosing the caliber and grain of projectile within that caliber that has the ability to best remain stable out beyond 1/2 mile and that choice the experts have been arguing about forever. Pick you poison and learn all you can about reading the signs of wind and changing wind over your chosen distance range WITH AT LEAST A 20X A SPOTTER SCOPE on a tripod beside you while you're in the prone firing position. Then become an expert on weight of projectile and design of same when varying powder charges to move it at different velocities. Calculating the gravity factor iz ah Piece-ah-cake. I've been just a beginner of this type of fun starting about 1950 and thru' the military and then ending abruptly on the 12th of August 1980 when all that stuff that I truly loved left my house without my permission. OH, and they walked rite past 'bout 15K worth of mechanics tool without touchin' them and now I play with only Mopar Carz of choice, Jer

Go over to longrangehunting.com they have all kinds of info there and they're not the typical ohrah label whores. 6mmbr.com has some label whores but generally a good group of guys.

I've never shot at 600 but I have been to Quantico on range 4 a a few times shooting f-class @ 800, 900, and 1000. And I've built a few rifles myself. If you want off the shelf cartridges and don't plan on handloading, 308 would work obviously though there are better, like a 260 Remington. My personal preference is either a 6x47 Lapua or its parent the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Custom cartridges are going to get you accuaracy slightly easier simply because they're handloads from the beginning and you're naturally going to do load development and use a projectile with the best BC possible. On the other hand commercially available cartridges are generally cheaper, and by definition more available

You have to decide if you're looking to just shoot, or are you looking to shoot, handload, do development, and have a somewhat touchy rig.

You also have to decide how much you want to be beaten up. You can do 600 with a .223, it isn't going to be as easy with a larger better ballistic co-efficient bullet. But it isn't going to hurt with each trigger pull. You can get all the velocity you want out of a magnum or ultra mag cartrige and get some really good projectiles. You're going to pay the price with every pull on that trigger.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm looking to get into some longer distance 600YD Plus range shooting. I wanted to see if there is anyone here. Other forums are generally A^#holes.......

Thanks
Doesn't everyone in the US own a gun? Isn't it a privilege according to some ammendment?

Go over to longrangehunting.com they have all kinds of info there and they're not the typical ohrah label whores. 6mmbr.com has some label whores but generally a good group of guys.

I've never shot at 600 but I have been to Quantico on range 4 a a few times shooting f-class @ 800, 900, and 1000. And I've built a few rifles myself. If you want off the shelf cartridges and don't plan on handloading, 308 would work obviously though there are better, like a 260 Remington. My personal preference is either a 6x47 Lapua or its parent the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Custom cartridges are going to get you accuaracy slightly easier simply because they're handloads from the beginning and you're naturally going to do load development and use a projectile with the best BC possible. On the other hand commercially available cartridges are generally cheaper, and by definition more available

You have to decide if you're looking to just shoot, or are you looking to shoot, handload, do development, and have a somewhat touchy rig.

You also have to decide how much you want to be beaten up. You can do 600 with a .223, it isn't going to be as easy with a larger better ballistic co-efficient bullet. But it isn't going to hurt with each trigger pull. You can get all the velocity you want out of a magnum or ultra mag cartrige and get some really good projectiles. You're going to pay the price with every pull on that trigger.
Quantico aye? Sempher FI

Quantico aye? Semper Fi Bill from one Jar Head to another. I have a letter from the CG at 29 Palms way back in '57 informing me I have the highest score ever recorded in the Corp with my favorite little BAR. My fave. calibers were 22-250 and 308 for reaching out to touch someone ERRRR Some Thing. Alwayz wish the bolt action .50 Cal waz on the scene when I waz active. Thank You for your service Bill. Me? I fought the Tijuana never ending battle 'tween Korea and Nam and we did our best to vanquish them every bloody weekend lol, Jer

Quantico aye? Sempher FI

Quantico aye? Semper Fi Bill from one Jar Head to another. I have a letter from the CG at 29 Palms way back in '57 informing me I have the highest score ever recorded in the Corp with my favorite little BAR. My fave. calibers were 22-250 and 308 for reaching out to touch someone ERRRR Some Thing. Alwayz wish the bolt action .50 Cal waz on the scene when I waz active. Thank You for your service Bill. Me? I fought the Tijuana never ending battle 'tween Korea and Nam and we did our best to vanquish them every bloody weekend lol, Jer

Nope not a Marine didn't mean to give that impression. But the range there is impressive and the Marines were always courteous and never gave us much so much as a second look after checking our papers. Always made us feel at home.

Each one of the white dots is a target that's 4ft x 4ft. My rig is the grey chassis with the stainless barrel next to the spotting scope in the lower left.

DSCN1065.JPG

And it was always impressive to look up and see this hanging over you while you were there.

DSCN1072.JPG

Doesn't everyone in the US own a gun? Isn't it a privilege according to some ammendment?

"Right", not privilege.. :poke:
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads, in part: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.":elmer:

The below is quoted from an essay by A.J. Oatsvall

Normally a privilege is granted to a specific or select group, class, office. A privilege is something a particular individual or group are allowed to do which others do not have permission. Privileges are prominent everywhere within society. Participation in certain events or functions is meant exclusively for members or those who qualify, such as at golf clubs, places of employment, and business establishments. You have a right to use the bathroom, but you do not have permission to use this bathroom: paying customers only!

Ultimately, a right is the ability to decide for one’s self; to make a choice. Exercising a right is always a choice. Choosing to not exercise it is still a choice; a decision based upon thought. And that is the core of all inalienable rights. This is what fundamentally distinguishes a Right from a Privilege. Whereas a right is something that can be done because it originates commonly within all individuals, a privilege is something that cannot be done without permission.

Nope not a Marine didn't mean to give that impression. But the range there is impressive and the Marines were always courteous and never gave us much so much as a second look after checking our papers. Always made us feel at home.
Not a big deal Bill. Not many Other Branch's or Civilians even know of Quantico OR the fun that goes on there. BTW, the Range you show the picture of is close to perfection out to I seem to remember 1200 Yardz. The woodz on both sidez all but prevent the wind from being a factor in the equation for scoring 10'z at that distance lol, Jer

Last edited:
"Right", not privilege.. :poke:

See I was going to go there too, but as a natural right secured by the second. But then I remembered the Japanese Americans and their rights in the concentration (internment, for the touchy feely) camps during the '40s and I realized he was correct.

Last edited:
Thanks all for you input. I'm trying to find a range up here in NY (post here offers a 100 Yard).... But in Missouri there will be one long range about 45 minutes away.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle specifically for this type of shooting, looking 6.5 creedmore or .308.

Thanks all for you input. I'm trying to find a range up here in NY (post here offers a 100 Yard).... But in Missouri there will be one long range about 45 minutes away.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle specifically for this type of shooting, looking 6.5 creedmore or .308.

308 might be more practical as there is lots of surplus ammo in that caliber including lake city match grade. The ammo shortage caused by Obummer and Co is now largely over. In basic training, we shot accurately at 600 yards with M-14's and iron sights.

Dave

I used to do some XC (still do a little). Went to Camp Perry a bunch, etc. I was heart-sick when "Precision Shooting" stopped publishing. I agree with everything 67Monaco said. 6.5 Creedmore and .260 Rem seem to be a good compromise between ballistics and recoil and also very successful. There is a GREAT range just outside of STL (Rolla maybe??) Never been there but I heard from people who have that they came into a boat-load of $ and did it right. ssusa.org will have a lot of info that can help you. ENJOY!!!

Camp-Perry-Main-Entrance-300x250.jpg
one of my favorite sights!
4552015282_26e3f73d9a_z.jpg
WWII POW huts. Legendary housing at Camp Perry. Been there, done that!

I've got an uncle that shoots 500 and 1000 yards with a muzzle loader, or you could do it the easy way and get one of these:
Model 99 | Barrett
But if you go with a .50 you have to be very mindful of your backstop(a tree won't work, even a really big tree). The recoil is surprisingly mild, with a muzzle brake, but the shock wave from the gun kind of feels like someone hit the side of the gun with a 2 by 4. I don't remember where I heard it, but somebody said a .50 shoots 5 dollar bills.:D
Let us know what you decide to get.

Eric. The journey you are about to go on will become very addictive. Ah couple thingz I'll throw out. Custom rifles are not that expensive over off the shelf stuff and ah S.S. fully floating bull barrelz and a Canjar single set trigger with a 10 Unertal scope will help shrink your groups! And hand loading can AND IZ FUN. Oh? And under 1/2" down to 1/3" MOA at two hundred yardz consistently iz ah jagged hole at 100 yardz and iz starting to put you in rare air, but very doable and very sustainable. Enjoy the journey, I did. Jer

Back