Any special tools need to remove exterior trim?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you need any special tools to remove the molding trim or do they just pry off with a flat plastic blade? I'm going to a Mopar trade show tomorrow so I was trying to think of anything odd that I might need this winter on the restoration.

Should I buy some clips for the molding I'm guessing I will brake some of these during removal. Same thing for the clips on the interior door panels are they likely to brake.

The door panels are more likely to be damaged by removal than the clips.

What moldings are you taking off? Be specific,...

The door panels are more likely to be damaged by removal than the clips.

What moldings are you taking off? Be specific,...

Basically anything I would be taking off to paint the car, so the ones on the top edge and the ones going down the middle of the length of the car.

We need Rexus to chime in to be certain. The body side moldings usually have one threaded stud and a variety of clips that "slide" over studs on the body. They are removed by sliding the molding horizontal along the panel but that is on 70 and 71's. On yours I cant be certain.

You need to take GREAT care when removing the beltline moldings. The trim clip are not reproduced. I had to salvage enough to do my car from a local wrecking yard that miraculously had a '65 and '66 Chrysler in the yard. The parts of the molding that can be accessed from the engine and trunk compartment have threaded clips. Just don't try and force anything off and be patient. Once you get the moldings off, hit me up and I'll school you on the clips. That was one of the most daunting tasks of the restoration of my car.

The clips for the fendertop trim is made of unobtainium. There is an assortment of bolted on and clips held on with a plastic dowel pushed into the center of the clip. To remove my trim, as much as possible I slid the trim off the clips. If you open the door you can pull the fender trim back and once it is gone you close the door and slide the door trim forward. Sound kind of complicated, but these clips will be very brittle and too much force trying to snap the trim off will cause them to break. Once the trim is off, you can push the dowel down and out of the clip allowing you to gently wiggle the clip off.

You can kind of see the clips in this picture.

Restorationpics006.jpg

This one gives you a feel for the spacing

Restorationpics022.jpg

You need to take GREAT care when removing the beltline moldings. The trim clip are not reproduced. I had to salvage enough to do my car from a local wrecking yard that miraculously had a '65 and '66 Chrysler in the yard. The parts of the molding that can be accessed from the engine and trunk compartment have threaded clips. Just don't try and force anything off and be patient. Once you get the moldings off, hit me up and I'll school you on the clips. That was one of the most daunting tasks of the restoration of my car.

You write faster than I do.

Thanks as always. I'm about a 2 hour drive one way to Murray Park if you have heard of him. He has 2 '66 300. I would think I could find some clips there. I have seen pictures of the cars and from the time of the picture he had the moldings still on the car. He might even be at the Mopar swap meet tomorrow.

Thanks as always. I'm about a 2 hour drive one way to Murray Park if you have heard of him. He has 2 '66 300. I would think I could find some clips there. I have seen pictures of the cars and from the time of the picture he had the moldings still on the car. He might even be at the Mopar swap meet tomorrow.

If you take care in removing the trim as Peter and I pointed out and are able to successfully remove the beltline molding clips by tapping the center dowel through, you can reuse them. If you need extra dowels, Mr. G's sells them. Good luck!

Didn't think those were available.
Good to know. Thanks.

Note to self: file under
Exterior> Trim> Fasteners

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I actually bought some plastic rod at a hobby store and cut my 3/8" lengths. It was in the model railroad section where I bought mine. They had at least 8 different diameters.

If you take care in removing the trim as Peter and I pointed out and are able to successfully remove the beltline molding clips by tapping the center dowel through, you can reuse them. If you need extra dowels, Mr. G's sells them. Good luck!

I have some body damage on the passager door and the trim was knocked off and broke a couple of the clips. Thanks for the Mr. G's tip.

Back