Any suggestions for

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
....what's happening here?

HIGH BEAMS:extremely high on pass side, extremely dim on drivers side:
IMG_9507.jpg

LOW BEAMS:Although lights are switched to "low beam" operation, all four lights are on, with the inward bulbs being very dim.
IMG_9506.jpg

I just noticed this driving into the garage. Never happened before, in-fact just last night they were operating perfectly. Anyone else experience something like this? Its almost.....funny.

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9506.jpg

I was thinking voltage drop also. I'll check the HB switch first, best place to start I suppose.

I had the same problem, I agree with the guys mine was a gound problem too.

It will absolutely be a ground problem, start at the front and work your way back cleaning everything and checking for exposed wires and don't stop until they work properly.

oops...... Thanks Pete, and Polara. It wasn't until I seen your quotes, that I realized I ''spellt'' chek incorrectly. :sSig_thanks:

Ditto the ground, because the driver's side lamps should get the switched 12 V first, so wouldn't be on the hot side (if they chain it, like in my Dart). If like my 65 Mopars, each headlight has a local short ground wire from the connector to the rear of the lamp housing. In later years, they ran a dedicated return wire back, at least a 74 Dart harness I used was like that, maybe because the front panel was fiberglass?

While snooping around with my multimeter the other day trying to track this down I noticed with lights on/car off if the passenger side hi-beam bulb is disconnected I can get almost 12 V going thru each low beam lamp again (11.75v driver/ 11.79 pass) sides. They brighten up nicely. When I re-connect that bulb the two low beams dim way down, and the hi beam bulbs come on very low also.

Ha, no...both lamps seemed to be good....but maybe that's the trick. Would be nice if it were simple for a change. I'll try it out.

So ok checking back in with my light bulb gremlin. While I had the hood open and working around in there I had everything apart including the bezels and light frame enclosures. I had replaced them with some nicer pieces off Ebay but even they were beginning to pick up rust because the paint was getting thin in some areas. I ordered some Argent silver spray paint from Eastwood and got to slingin' paint. I think the surfaces look a lot better than they did.... So with that out of the way...still chasing down the dim light issue. It seems the two outside bulbs are getting close to 12V's while the inside (hi beams) are getting 2V's on pass side & 8V's on drivers side... I don't think the problem lies at the switch. Yea some guys have said ground problem, but someone also specifically suggested grounding the engine block with a dedicated ground strap.....which it is not. Ground it to the chassis?

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9649.jpg

This could be the problem........fender wall ground stud. Appears to have a frayed copper wires showing thru the insulation at the connector head. No lights if this is not secured to the fender.
IMG_9658.jpgIMG_9657.jpgIMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

Back