Any way to refurbish vinyl on door panels and armrests?

Henrius

Reaction score
Dad used to yell a me when riding in his 1955 Ford Crown Victoria, "Roll your window up a crack to keep your arm off the door upholstery!"

Didn't heed his warnings as an adult. As a result the door skins of my 1965 Fury III, and armrest too, are faded and ugly. Not split or cracked, nor missing any plastic trim, just lost their original color compared to the passenger side.

I know it will be impossible to get reproduction door panels for this car. Is there any dye or paint for vinyl which will restore most of the original color and smooth surface texture?

Last edited:
Yes I had mine cleaned and died to the original colour by a local fella up here in Alberta. He repaired my rear arm rests and died the panels behind the rear armrest. I had him die both my door panels and repair the back of the panels as well. He used fibre glass resin to fix the press board where the clips are , the press board ALL-WAYS get loose and falls apart and the resin holds the clips in place and strengths the panel. That being said there is probably someone a lot closer to you that does that sort of thing. His Business name is vinyl fix. I’m not sure if he has a web site or Facebook page.

Dad used to yell a me when riding in his 1955 Ford Crown Victoria, "Roll your window up a crack to keep your arm off the door upholstery!"

Didn't heed his warnings as an adult. As a result the door skins of my 1965 Fury III, and armrest too, are faded and ugly. Not split or cracked, nor missing any plastic trim, just lost their original color compared to the passenger side.

I know it will be impossible to get reproduction door panels for this car. Is there any dye or paint for vinyl which will restore most of the original color and smooth surface texture?

You might check with SMS auto fabrics, they are now doing door panels. This is not a cheap process. They will take your old panels and build a new set using your old ones as cores. For all four, it will run you about $1200. Worth it for a show car, probably not for a driver.

www.smsautofabrics.com

Dave

I've repainted mine with SEM colorcoat. The issue is if they have a close enough color match... but the stuff works great. You have to follow their prep to the letter.

Skip the first 2 minutes of nonsense from these guys. This is a really good video on the subject.

Mine before and after refinishing.

zAiI2Pc.jpg

JHOOCqf.jpg

I did some faded junkyard armrests about 20 years ago. Sprayed them down w/ auto parts store spraybomb made for plastic (maybe Plasticote, I think it was called). I wasn't even very careful, other than make sure no grease or ArmorAll on them. Worked great - looks as good now, as day I sprayed them.

If it’s a matter of simply getting the colour back then take a good panel to an auto paint store for a colour match and have a pint mixed up to either redo the single panel or spray all of them to match all together
A good supply outlet will help with the materials needed

I've got the headrest dark fade on the top outside edges in my light tan interior . Not sure what color it's called. A lot lighter than that 300 b4 & after pic (beautiful by the way).

Did the door arm rests on the new yorker wagon. They were shot so i bought black ones for a charger off ebay that were the same length and spray bombed them then satin hi temp clear coat to get the perfect match to what was on it.

788F489F-89AD-4B88-8862-8A3F14994EB7.jpeg

I've repainted mine with SEM colorcoat. The issue is if they have a close enough color match... but the stuff works great. You have to follow their prep to the letter.

Skip the first 2 minutes of nonsense from these guys. This is a really good video on the subject.

Thanks for the tip. My door panel has TWO different colors butted up to one another. Could I do a panel like this by masking?

Thanks for the tip. My door panel has TWO different colors butted up to one another. Could I do a panel like this by masking?
I don't see why not.

Use some good masking tape like 3M Fine Line and not cheap paper masking tape.

Agreed. I have used this product several times and love the results. John is right. You do need to follow the prep directions fully. It makes all the difference in the final results. It is a great product!

Back