Any way to test brake lines before hand?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am actually going to work on my brakes tomorrow. I have been disassembling everything and so far I have no brake fluid still in the car. I have removed the master and it's dry.

I am replacing basically everything but the steel brake lines. First is this unwise not to replace the lines too? Second is there a way to test the lines with compressed air or some other means before I assemble everything and then find a hole in the lines? Rust hasn't really been an issue for this car and it's been in a dry garage for 30 years.

I wouldnt worry about the lines but I am probably in the minority. Theres gotta be a company that sells lines for your car but I dont think they go bad, do they?

It's crazy not to replace those old lines, IMO. Hell yes they rust & rot.

I have looked no one makes lines for my car.
I saw an episode of Chop Cut Rebuild where they had lines made to fit & they didn't act like it was a big deal. Maybe they have an unlimited budget but again, they acted like it was no big deal. I'm way over my head here....

There has to be a shop out there that can bend new lines. Of course if your real good you can bend your own

It's highly unlikely that you are going to remove the brake lines without them breaking. I would NOT even attempt to remove a single brake line until AFTER you get the new brakes lines, fittings,and hoses to make sure you have ALL the exact parts on hand first. Otherwise you'll be going to have to make your own, which isn't hard if you know how to use a tubing bender and know how to double flare tubing. I'm not familiar with your car...so don't forget to replace the rear brake hose if your car has one.

http://www.inlinetube.com/PDF%20catalogs/2010%20Customer%20catalog%20PDF%20COLOR/22%20Mopar.pdf

I will take a closer look at my lines. I personlly think I lost all my fluid through the wheel cylinders. They were in terrible shape. I looked at a section of my brake line going to the rear right and all I had was some light surface rust when I took some sand paper to it.

Thats what I am thinking. Given your car was in dry storage I think the lines are good but again, I seem to throw caution to the wind.

It's highly unlikely that you are going to remove the brake lines without them breaking. I would NOT even attempt to remove a single brake line until AFTER you get the new brakes lines, fittings,and hoses to make sure you have ALL the exact parts on hand first. Otherwise you'll be going to have to make your own, which isn't hard if you know how to use a tubing bender and know how to double flare tubing. I'm not familiar with your car...so don't forget to replace the rear brake hose if your car has one.

http://www.inlinetube.com/PDF%20catalogs/2010%20Customer%20catalog%20PDF%20COLOR/22%20Mopar.pdf

Thanks, I did a search and could find any pre made brake. They have what I need. Now it doesn't look like such a big job to do.
:eek:ccasion14:

I will take a closer look at my lines. I personlly think I lost all my fluid through the wheel cylinders. They were in terrible shape. I looked at a section of my brake line going to the rear right and all I had was some light surface rust when I took some sand paper to it.

If the brake lines aren't leaking... I would leave them alone and replace the rear wheels cylinders and everything inside the drums on the rear. If you have drums on the front I would do the same thing and replace front brakes hoses, and inspect/repack or replace front wheel bearings and related parts.

I would definitely replace the inner and outer bearings because the car was sitting so long

I would definitely replace the inner and outer bearings because the car was sitting so long

Amazingly the bearings are in great shape. I had 2 people look at them and they both said they look new. Maybe it was one of the last things the PO did to the car.

After sitting on the wheels it is not uncommon for them to develop "flat" spots.

Bob gave you good sound advice on replacing all the brake stuff, front and rear.

After sitting on the wheels it is not uncommon for them to develop "flat" spots.

Bob gave you good sound advice on replacing all the brake stuff, front and rear.

So am I to understand that they will look fine in the normal bearing assessment but the flat spots aren't a visual defect.

NO! Dont go by my word........if you had people check them and they say they are good then assume they are good.

Oddly enough I would trust the steel brake lines and yet change the bearings.

I live in Columbus. I'm not from there but I've lived here for 15 years.

I see live in the "Buckeye" state, but living in Columbus you're probably sick of the coverage of OSU. I have lived here all my life and am an OSU grad, along with my parents and sister, so I'm a Buckeye through and through.

Well, since I'm just a few miles east of you, I vote for new lines. ;)

Since I'm in Columbus alot, I might "run into you" if I don't do my brake right.

Back