Anybody else pissed about rednecks using C-bodies for demo derby?

500cubes

Reaction score
Type Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge & demo derby in the search at YouTube & you will get hundreds of vids showing proud rednecks destroying our favorite classic cars. There are vids of them buying them, getting them ready by smashing valuable parts & then of course destroying what's left. I hate these guys so much! First: don't sell them cars! I don't care how bad you need the money if you find out their plans don't let them have even a parts car! Second: & obviously, don't pay to see this trash. Third: buy as many classics cars as you can to keep their grubby hands off them!
I never understood the destroying things for fun idea. They attempt to make stupidity a virtue. Their actions make me want to sabotage their every move. Any thoughts?

I've hated it for years, but unless you can fund me, I cant buy any more cars than what I have. I have saved engines and transmissions from cars slated to be derby cars. Nothing else I can do about it.

Type Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge & demo derby in the search at YouTube & you will get hundreds of vids showing proud rednecks destroying our favorite classic cars. There are vids of them buying them, getting them ready by smashing valuable parts & then of course destroying what's left. I hate these guys so much! First: don't sell them cars! I don't care how bad you need the money if you find out their plans don't let them have even a parts car! Second: & obviously, don't pay to see this trash. Third: buy as many classics cars as you can to keep their grubby hands off them!
I never understood the destroying things for fun idea. They attempt to make stupidity a virtue. Their actions make me want to sabotage their every move. Any thoughts?

STUPIDITY IS THEIR CARDINAL VIRTUE!!! I advise The Wise to make a log of such animals, then quietly shoot them with tranqs, sterilize them so they DON'T REPLICATE THEIR DNA, then maybe force a few to read BOOKS!

I'm thinking an Import Only demo derby would be much more enjoyable to watch. Love to see a bunch of Volvos and Saabs smacking some Camrys around!

I've mentioned (ranted) on here and Dry Dock before about how I feel, which is pretty much the same as you. I won't sell them a car. I won't pay to watch these events and wouldn't even attend if the admission were free. I will not support businesses who sponsor or enter cars in these events either. I can think of one particular local business who has destroyed several classics, including C-bodies of all years, a '64 Mercury and a '59 Pontiac. I also know of a '72 Monaco destroyed by another local business who entered it in a derby. These businesses will never get one dime from me. As I understand it, we should be greatful to the derby guys who sell the parts they strip from C-bodies. I find that difficult when I realize how scarce C-body parts have become and how expensive they've become, at least thanks in part to the derby guys who have destroyed so many of our cars over the years without even trying to save any parts. Now those same guys are profiting at our expense.

It happened a lot in the 70's and 80's, until they were banned because they couldn't be killed. I hated seeing it, though. I have a couple in my shed I don't know what to do with that I purchased years ago. They were being hunted down at the time, but I was at least able to save a few.

I guess it really depends on the overall condition of the car. I don't think anyone likes to see any old car destroyed that's still road worthy and operable. But if it's rotted out and near death, what's it matter? Strip a few of the good parts off before the end.

I feel the same way about the muscle car slime that would gut a clean C to put the 440 in a rotten Duster...

Been going on forever...seems you can't put sense in a fool's brain.

I've purchased 3 c-bodies in so many months & am willing to protect any classic cars the community needs saved: I own 300 acres out in the country near Roanoke VA. We can build a Mopar sanctuary! Free storage to help save these cars. Or you deliver & I will buy. (time is my issue) LMK what anybody has. This is just off the top of my head but I'm serious here.

Derby isn't dead everywhere... I don't approve or endorse this or the driveline raping, but being a realist, I don't see many other sources of parts floating to the surface. Several of the guy's I have talked to seem to be interested in saving the prime examples... so yeah, maybe they aren't all bad... but definitely misguided IMO.

500cubes... I think your offer is nice, but sitting in the open on dirt will kill them just as effectively. They need love and protection from the elements... I hope we inspire more to save them and enjoy them... hoarded away in the field isn't really going to solve that.

I've been pissed about it for 35 years but you'd never stop it. Like so many other things in life, you gotta move on

Last edited:
As a kid in the mid sixties dad took us to a demo derby downriver.
A driver we met said the push-button mopars were favorites then. He could change directions faster with the buttons. As a kid i probably thought that was cool, now i think of how many forward looks were smashed in derbys!:BangHead:

Back