Anybody Know Of A Place...

banatello

Reaction score
I'm looking for someplace that can replace the factory wire harness in my 71 300, I have looking at getting one of the Painless kits. I don't know much about electrical and not much time to do it myself, so just wondering if anybody knows of anyplace that is resonable here in Orange County California.

Personally if you do not know much about electrical I'd look into getting new harnesses made.

Depending on what you need these companies may be able to help you, last I checked Evans does not do under dash.

http://www.evanswiring.com/

http://www.wiringharness.com/

Neither of these will have what you need listed so you will need to contact them.
Both make restoration quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Alan

How do you install the new harness, and what about the old fuse block. I would like to replace the old with the new blade type fuses.

The under hood harnesses are simple just unplug and plugin (assuming you get OEM harnesses).
The rear body harness is the same but requires pulling up the door sills and back seat.
The dash harness gets a little more tricky.

There is no real benefit to blade fuses.

What are the issues with your harnesses and which ones?

Alan

At this point the only issue is the engine wiring harness. It's brittle so as things are being hooked up wires are either breaking or insulation has worn off and wires fused together. I just figured why replace only part, just do the whole thing. I'm also planning on upgrading the alternator to a 200 amp alternator and I saw a few posts about it being an issue with the bulk head into the engine compartment. I assumed a wiring harness would solve this issue.

At this point the only issue is the engine wiring harness. It's brittle so as things are being hooked up wires are either breaking or insulation has worn off and wires fused together. I just figured why replace only part, just do the whole thing. I'm also planning on upgrading the alternator to a 200 amp alternator and I saw a few posts about it being an issue with the bulk head into the engine compartment. I assumed a wiring harness would solve this issue.

The engine harness can be worn out and still have a flawless dash harness. A well maintained bulkhead connector should be more than sufficient for the factory configuration.

What is the reason for the 200 amp alternator? That is more than more police cars use with all their equipment.

Alan

I was thinking about switching over to halogen headlights, and I'm installing a good size stereo system in the car. The 200 amp model from Powermaster is the same price as the 170 amp, so i figured just go with the 200 amp if I'm paying the same price.

Where are you located? I do Tech. support for Painless so I would be able to help you on any questions you may have with one of our harnesses. Heck I even do what I can to help everyone here with factory wiring repairs.

I'm in Anaheim CA. Help is always good. I would be more for trying to do the wiring on my own if I had somebody close by that could help me since I don't know. I also don't want the car sitting for a huge amount of time. It is being put back together right now, and I miss my car..lol. I had it painted, interior, motor rebuilt, and had it changed from a column shifter to a floor shifter. So a lot of work, and a lot of time for the car to be gone.

Last edited:
Back