Anybody willing to cut up their dash - 67/68 Chrysler.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There's a special place in hell for people who cut up their dash to install an aftermarket radio. :soapbox:

I'm in a real tough situation right now. The effing ******* really did a number on the radio opening.
I looked at it at a thousand different ways from fabrication to welding to god knows what and the simple fact is the only way to do It is to scab in another whole section from a junker.
The area is just way too complex to a DIY patch a/o repair. :BangHead:

Is there anyone willing to cut up their dash out of a 67/68 Chrysler parts car? I am more than willing to compensate whatever it takes.

As you can see, it's beyond repair and the outlined section is roughly the chunk I need to work with to scab it in. Thank you to anyone who is willing. :hug:
I'm really F%%%%%D here.

dp8tpf.jpg

Are you putting in a factory radio back in ? do you have any pictures of the radio ?

I would thing that you could make a plate / bracket from a flat stock of plastic, aluminum or sheet metal and self tapping truss screws. :shruggy:

I've seen & have dealt with worse........

We seem to be dealing with the same chit these days. I'm doing exactly the same, however on a way simpler one piece pressed steel dashboard of a German middle class car. Just fabricated an offset metal plate which I'm going to glue to the hacked up area to avoid burning up the original paint by welds and put an original radio with proper chrome cover plate over it which will cover the whole mess.

001.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

Stan: I really feel for ya here. . . I have a '68 Mustang FB sitting in the garage with the same malady.

Maybe you should call Nick. I'm sure he could weld that up in a jiffy.

Ill have a look at the dash frame that i have, i doubt anyone is going to buy the whole thing, can you give me an outline of the entire area you would like cut Stan?

Oops i reread the speil, ill take a pic today and post it just to make sure its the same.

Are you putting in a factory radio back in ? do you have any pictures of the radio ?

I would thing that you could make a plate / bracket from a flat stock of plastic, aluminum or sheet metal and self tapping truss screws. :shruggy:

I've seen & have dealt with worse........

The whole weight of the radio rests on that area. Plus it provides the support to the trim pcs, the map light, etc.
I've thought about it until my brain melted.
It has to made out of metal with welding, bending, machining, plasma cutting, blah, blah, blah.
No, it's not practical unless I had Jay Leno's 3D printer.

2z9is6u.jpg

I thought about deleting the radio (which is fine with me) and have the shop down the street plasma cut me a blank face plate but unfortunately THAT is mounted and secured by the missing section of the dash...

Maybe you should call Nick. I'm sure he could weld that up in a jiffy.
I have a welder. I can do the welding :D

Hey Stan, guess what? The entire dash frame is cast metal, yeah i know that doesnt sound right, but i looked closely and it is definitely cast on mine, check yours more closely and we will go from there.

Oh yah. I forgot to mention that it was cast so that eliminates welding any doo-dads to it. Grrr...
Besides, no welder is entering my interior anyway. Not over my dead body.

The only way to do it correctly is to find an oversized section from a real(!) junker, trim that to the section you want to replace entirely, then trim the existing dash to accept the trimmed donor piece. Then secure with sheet metal screws.

Do you really want to have it cut? I wonder what the entire frame sent via FEDEX ground would cost? Its probably cheaper to hit up the other guy who is parting that other 68 out in Florida.

If you do decide to want a cut piece then i will cut mine, but because you will want to cut way larger than the original area, give me an outline of what you think is good.

I'm going to use a two component adhesive in my case, which is usually used professionally for metal/aluminum window frames in housing; it's supposed to be as tight as welding. A friend of mine who works in this business is supposed to drop off the stuff today at my home.

Do you really want to have it cut? I wonder what the entire frame sent via FEDEX ground would cost? Its probably cheaper to hit up the other guy who is parting that other 68 out in Florida.
The dash is not coming out. I will fill the hole in the dash with expandable foam and spray paint it with Krylon first.

If you do decide to want a cut piece then i will cut mine....
Hmmm. The's a drastic thing for you to do. An unhacked dash is priceless to the right person.
I'll let you rethink that over the weekend.
The carcass that it comes out of has to be going to the crusher next,

Hmmm. The's a drastic thing for you to do. An unhacked dash is priceless to the right person.
I'll let you rethink that over the weekend.
The carcass that it comes out of has to be going to the crusher next,
That car was crushed long ago.
loaded.jpg

loaded.jpg

Alrighty i got a good idea of where to cut, i was going to charge say $25 for the entire dash frame, are you good with that plus freight?

Back