Anyone changed drum sizes?

66Fury383

Reaction score
My Fury has 2" drums on the rear, and because they are fairly uncommon, I am considering upgrading to a better/more common size. Has anyone done this? What all is involved?

On Chrysler's they ran either 2-1/2 or 3 inch rear drums. (3 inch were tow package or cop duty brakes not cheap since the Road Runner,and Hemi B bodies run the same set up.)
To upgrade to those sizes make sure you grab the matching backing plates to fit properly.
Another recommendation is if you want to go to that extent of pulling axles to swap backing plates,do a rear disc brake swap.
Done

On Chrysler's they ran either 2-1/2 or 3 inch rear drums. (3 inch were tow package or cop duty brakes not cheap since the Road Runner,and Hemi B bodies run the same set up.)
To upgrade to those sizes make sure you grab the matching backing plates to fit properly.
Another recommendation is if you want to go to that extent of pulling axles to swap backing plates,do a rear disc brake swap.
Done
Mine are the 11x2 light duties. (2in pad, ~2&1/4in drum)
Would I have to change studs as well? Also, how much do those rear disc swaps run?

Swapped mine for 2 1/2” a couple of years ago when I pulled the drum assembly from a 73” Chrysler
Was a very easy conversion

I did this on the 8/75 A Body rear I installed on the Gremlin. Switching to the larger 4.5" bolt pattern required the larger rear drums. For me, I was blessed to have a man in Bakersfield that dealt specifically with 8.75 rears. I was able buy the axles, drums, and backing plates from him. The cylinders and shoes I got at my local shop.

66Fury383,
You need backing plates, brake shoes, brake hardware, wheel cylinders, and brake drums.
I have one pair of backing plates, purposely,
And everything else brand new....
It would be a lot, lot cheaper than going disc, where you must change quite a bit of the braking system......

If you want to go to the 11" x 2 1/2" system, I have everything....
What do you need for the 11" x 2" --- I have everything for that.....
Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935.....

Back