Anyone Ever Rebuild a PowerMaster Alternator?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Well, some folks did say, "I told ye so..." so I'm not totally surprised. I bought my PowerMaster 17019 Oct 8 last year, and, JUST AFTER THE 1 YEAR WARRANTY EXPIRED, I get bearing trouble! To be somewhat fair to Powermaster, I ran a 2V pulley on one belt, just as I have all the previous alternators I ran on Mathilda, because the car came equipped with one with the dealer AC. Well, Gertrude came w a cheap reman 55 amp job, which I might resort to using in an emergency, but I still want something of higher current capacity than 55 or 60 amps, and a 1V pulley. So, since the bearings on this Powermaster are starting to squeal, I want to catch the problem now, repair it, AND prevent it's recurrence by replacing the idler next to it to help align the belt "just so" for the future. Thus the Question arises, have any bodies on this Forum ever rebuilt a PowerMaster Mopar type alternator? I see that a pair of new bearings for MOPAR round and squareback alternators runs for ~$33 at a specialty website. I wonder if I can get the right bearings for this latter model of the old form factor?

Anyway, if anybody here has rebuilt or repaired these Powermaster alternators, I seek your wisdom and instruction. I'm looking into replacment options also, but HATE throwing away something which worked so well until now.

I've never worked on a Power master alternator, but have replaced bearings in many alternators, generators, motors, pumps,both automotive and industrial. Almost without exception, if you can remove the bearings, replacements can be had at a local bearing shop. Take the worn bearing(s) to the shop and they will measure and check the number on it and get you the proper replacement(s). Should not be a problem. If you were in Canada, I could recommend a couple of companies, but perhaps someone from "south of the border" will know a good American source. Hope this helps. Lindsay

FWIW, I've never rebuilt a PowerMaster either. I agree with finding a generic replacement.

One thing... Chances are the rear bearing is just fine. I've repaired/rebuilt a few alternators and the rear bearing is always good. The front bearing self destructs, usually from excessive belt tension, but just general wear will do them in too. My experience with PowerMaster was dismal at best, and I've not going to be surprised if they are using a cheap bearing.

A bearing that is not offshore sourced may be hard to come by... Look for SKF, Timken etc. if possible.

FWIW, I've never rebuilt a PowerMaster either. I agree with finding a generic replacement.

One thing... Chances are the rear bearing is just fine. I've repaired/rebuilt a few alternators and the rear bearing is always good. The front bearing self destructs, usually from excessive belt tension, but just general wear will do them in too. My experience with PowerMaster was dismal at best, and I've not going to be surprised if they are using a cheap bearing.

A bearing that is not offshore sourced may be hard to come by... Look for SKF, Timken etc. if possible.

Given that I carefully followed the FSM, even getting the proper tool for applying the "torque method" of belt tensioning, I'm apt to agree with your assessment of PM; that they use cheap bearings. I know how to go to bearing/industrial supply shops, which, thank the Lord, are fairly close to our Humble Abode here. I use ONLY U.S. or European made bearings in ANYTHING I touch, and have a good relationship with a Timken dealer just a couple miles down the road from us.

The alternator actually worked very nicely for me, and still is charging, though one can see a sinusoidal voltage variation at curb idle between say, 13.8 to 14.1 V since it started chattering and squalling. I reduced the tension from 40 to 35 ft-lbs for now, and ordered another cheap Powermaster with a 1V pulley, after searching carefully for the options available in 90A alternators.

Be SURE, I WANT to BUILD a high current alternator, and actually took a core out of our locker, squareback, alas, which I might use if for any reason the architecture of the PowerMaster prohibits use of industry standard sized bearings. Eventually, I WILL use that core just so, and build it, but given that we NEED Gertrude at least 5/7 days weekly, I have to keep her running.

One things emerges clear with BOTH of these U.S. based companies, PowerMaster and Tuff Stuff: THEY WENT TO SCHOOL IN CHINA.

Possibly another hindsight regret in the making since I have bought and am about to install the PM 7019. I hate that!

Possibly another hindsight regret in the making since I have bought and am about to install the PM 7019. I hate that!

Might as well use it up FWIW then. These outfits make throwaway products, despite assurances that they will "fix" a unit IFF you send it to THEM. Maybe if I engrave some little sigil on the interior of the case, then send such a core to them, and insist they "fix" it, we can all see what I'm sure is their Universal Repair Technique.

Back