Anyone familiar with 58 Buick parts situation

cm23uoc

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
A friend of mine got the idea of buying a 58 four door Buick Roadmaster that is already in Germany. It's supposed to be a well preserved survivor which can be registered and driven. Asked me about availability of spare parts in the US. I guess body parts NOS/or repro as bad as with other cars of the era except Chevrolets, but how about mechanicals like powertrain, suspension etc. I also think the automatic transmissons of these model years are a bit prone to malfunction, didn't some models already come with 4 spd. automatics. Any special issues to address when inspecting the car ? Not at all familiar with this model, so if anyone of the experienced restorers like Will could shed some light it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
58 Buicks were a pretty well built car. Better then the average quality found in most 58 model cars.
About the only rust prone areas are the trunk floor and lower deck lid. Unless it has been exposed to extreme weather.
Johns auto salvage near Cabool Mo. has several nice 58's.

Buicks have one of the largest club followings and parts support bases in the US.
http://www.buickclub.org/

To restore a 58 can be cost prohibitive mainly due to the extensive use of chrome on them. Hell of a car though.

There are a lot of suppliers for the 1950's Buicks. I have a 53 Special myself. Two of the best suppliers I have come across were Kanter Auto Products and Cars Inc. The Buick Club is a great source for info as well as aaca.org.

Thanks
James

buick parts

A friend of mine got the idea of buying a 58 four door Buick Roadmaster that is already in Germany. It's supposed to be a well preserved survivor which can be registered and driven. Asked me about availability of spare parts in the US. I guess body parts NOS/or repro as bad as with other cars of the era except Chevrolets, but how about mechanicals like powertrain, suspension etc. I also think the automatic transmissons of these model years are a bit prone to malfunction, didn't some models already come with 4 spd. automatics. Any special issues to address when inspecting the car ? Not at all familiar with this model, so if anyone of the experienced restorers like Will could shed some light it would be appreciated.

Try classicnosparts. Greg Thomas is a buick garu with many nos parts.

Thanks a lot for the hints. I'll forward this info to him.

I just hope his Buick doesn't have the optional "air ride" suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBoEoFmRsYo

This was a very rare option and often converted to coils soon afer delivery in many cases AFAIK. I only once came across a 58 Impala over here in Europe that was ordered with that option and still had it. If he's getting serious about buying I'll probably be with him for inspection and purchase.

If their are any of the little squairz broken or missing in either half of the grill I'd pass on it. You won't like the price on either half of that grill and with all the re-platterz out there I don't know of one that I would trust to plate and polish that grill...FYI, I thought for a while that I'd kinda like that grill in the Batwagon 'til I did the research. Two left sidez and two right sidez tah fill the hole on the front of that beast and then I shopped all over the country and once the platerz found out what I wanted plated I couldn't even get a quote. They all just said "noooo thank you!"

That grille is "killer" :)
I just can't imagine my friend coping even with cleaning this thing; he's rather sloppy with cars in general in my opinion; maybe his four kids can be persuaded to take care of this.

That grille is "killer" :)
I just can't imagine my friend coping even with cleaning this thing; he's rather sloppy with cars in general in my opinion; maybe his four kids can be persuaded to take care of this.

Yeah ..... the 58 buick grille came with enough cabinet knobs for a half dozen kitchens.

Wasn't there a certain year Buick that holds the record of having the most individual part numbers?

Here's one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen in my entire life. Restored & owned by a member here.
Buick3.jpg
Buick2.jpg
Buick1.jpg

Buick3.jpg

Buick2.jpg

Buick1.jpg

Glenn B.

All of his cars are beautiful & he restored & painted all of them himself (other than the survivors).

That car is gorgeous!

Yeah it iz pretty but it'z ah '53 and not ah '58 and thoze Dynaflush transmissionz had all the strength of wet toilet paper. Ask me how many rebuildz I paid for on momz daily ride 'tween '54 and '58, OUI

Looks like a 53 Skylark..... A very special and beautiful Buick thats on my top 20 list.

GM made a big splash in 53 with the Olds Fiesta, Buick Skylark & Cadillac ElDorado .... All convertibles only and all limited builds.

Back