Anyone had a car dustless blasted?

I'm considering having this done. Any input would be appreciated.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/aos/3802082933.html

Sounds interesting. If you want an expert opinion I'd check with Donny over on FBBO. He's in the blasting business and know's everything about everything to do with with blasting old rusty mopar steel or maybe he check's in here too ?? He is in San Antonio .. you in FL?

edit .. btw that was your 100th post brother :)

Last edited:
I know a guy from Oregon that did this to his MGB body. He just got a write up for his restoration in a magazine. It is probably the top way to do the shell of the car, he had the whole thing disassembled, so water couldn't get trapped anywhere . He did the best on every step of the restoration and didn't cut any corners, so I believe it is a great way to do it. I personally would only do it if it was a rolling shell with all the pan plugs pulled and no engine/tranny, glass out...

I was talked out of soda blasting a car by several that claimed the new paint job would (could) come off if prep was not done 100% correct. I googled it, and it looks like a small percentage do indeed experience this. I stripped it instead with paint stripper, which takes an incredible amount of time. I don't plan on that way again. The free time it takes to be done right is high. The water based system looks like an improvement over soda blasting. Obviously it has to be dried off fast, or you can get flash rusting. The people offering these services will tell you that it won't warp a panel, but I think it's entirely possible given the pressure used and someone not paying attention. I would expect around $600 to strip a car.

Just checked and Donny is a member. I sent him a PM so hopefully he'll stop by and comment on this method.

Ask Chris (azblackhemi) about this....he's the resident expert in bodywork on the forum.

I sent the guy pics, and told him I would take off the trim.He e mailed me back this email body. "1100". Based on what I've heard, other guys having it done, $700 is a typical number.
I would be more apt to do business with a guy who can put a little more effort into CR.
That looks like a great way to strip though, theres an anti rust that is applied right after the stripping to prevent flash rust.
I'm wanting this car to come out nice,I'm about sick of bodywork right now, trying to mig outside sucks.
Oh yea, Nick from Canada.I'll shut my whiny lil puss now.

Thanks for looking out guys. I was out sandblasting some little rust spots and what a freakin mess.
I really dont want to medi blast the body if I dont have to. I guess there's always good ole sanding.

If you're going to have your car media blasted, it has to be 100% stripped clean, bare shell, no interior, glass, doors, rubber, drive train, suspension, etc. And, your media blast facility must have a rotisserie and utilize it on your car, and blast every square inch of the vehicle; underside, inside, etc. And, must not damage the large flat surfaces like the roof, doors, hood, etc. To do this your blaster must use high-volume, low-pressure air, light-weight blasting media mixed leanly with a mineral specifically designed for media blasting (not sand) to cut the rust down, and, this yields a slight profile surface whereas your painter will love you for having the entire vehicle prepared properly whereas he doesn't need to sand one square inch to prep the metal for priming.

Expect to pay for this aforementioned service $1900-2400.00 dollars for the entire car, at least this is what I'd charge in my shop, and what I do charge (and get). But, the end state is what you need to be aware of. You must be dedicated to the car and process of restoring it, if you're not, then sanding it down by hand may be an option, but, if you go to sell it, you can command a higher price if it was professionally media blasted, and have documented pictures proving it.

Cheers, my 2 cents!

Back