Anyone here ever own a Dodge Daytona?

mdh157

Reaction score
I think i might enjoy driving one but have no experience with them. If you have owned or currently own one i would love to hear opinions on dtivability, confort and performance. Talking the later ones, like 89-93.

I think i might enjoy driving one but have no experience with them. If you have owned or currently own one i would love to hear opinions on dtivability, confort and performance. Talking the later ones, like 89-93.

The real Dodge Daytona ran on the NASCAR circuit 69-70. Chrysler used its famous name to promote sales of the later front wheel drive versions. They were reasonably reliable transportation based largely on a updated K car platform. Not noted for an abundance of power with the 4cyl on most models, but they held up pretty well as a daily driver. Front suspension was weak and prone to under steer and rear suspension tended to wheel hop on rough roads or if driven aggressively.
There was a Shelby version of the FWD Daytona that had some significant suspension upgrades to improve handling.

Dave

I had a 1992 that I gave to my step daughter with wife #2. The car held up really well considering how bad of a driver she was.

A friend of mine made rear wheel conversions. Not sure if he is still doing it or has any parts left. He started with a small block and lastly a 5.7. I may do it to my LeBanon coupe one day. Look at his website, exlineautomotive.

I had a Shelby Turbo Z 5 speed with the turbo turned up a bit. A blast to drive on dry roads, handling was not precise but at least predictable. I had a lot of fun with it, but really did not like it in moderate or heavy rain - visibility was not very good then and the defroster had a heckuva time clearing the windshield. That's why I sold it as it was supposed to be a fun back n forth to work car at 75 miles/day.

The newer ones @LocuMob. I cannot afford a 69-70!
I had a '92 3.0v6 5 speed and I lived that car. It got 30mpg driving it hard, burned oil but the valve clatter let you know when to add a quart. I put everything and anything in that car including a computer desk. Comfortable for the front two passengers, zippy with the manual transmission. I would have kept it but I had too many cars and the seatbelt was chewed up from a dog, staying retracted halfway. Loved it.

My problem is i want a fun stick car that is newer but every one of the models that fits my criteria has a useless back seat. i want something we can take the kids in. Apparently the engineers are all imbeciles. Even a corvair has some legroom.

The new challengers and 04-06 gtos are no good for a guy who needs the seat fully retracted.

I had an '85 with a turbo and a 5 speed. I really liked the car, but it also rusted around the front frame where the suspension mounted. This was non repairable and I junked the car.

It drove well, handled great and I used it as an everyday car. It was one of a long line of <$500 cars, so I didn't expect much but it really did a lot of things well.

But, yea, no back seat room. My kids were little, so that wasn't an issue, but no way any normal size person could sit there comfortably. I seem to remember head room being an issue too. There really should not have been a rear seat...

But, yea, no back seat room. My kids were little, so that wasn't an issue, but no way any normal size person could sit there comfortably. I seem to remember head room being an issue too. There really should not have been a rear seat...
A friend who is 6'2" tall suffer a ride in the back seat, once, that was it for passengers in the back seat.

You want a Conquest TSI. I think the one I had was an ‘87. 2.6 turbocharged, intercooled, 5spd and rear wheel drive. Really fun car to drive, it stuck to the road like it was on rails and no front wheel drive torque steering issues. I also had a 5 spd turbocharged Chrysler Lazer which was nowhere near as fun to drive.

I had an '85 with a turbo and a 5 speed. I really liked the car, but it also rusted around the front frame where the suspension mounted. This was non repairable and I junked the car.
My first new car was an 85 Turbo, loved it. Lots of fun, did most things well except for the dramatic torque-steer somewhat. Then I got a 90 Shelby VNT (turbo/intercooled) Daytona, and it was much more car and they'd tamed the steer. But neither was a keeper, and I have to imagine that today those cars would be considered rusty crapwagons. I never see them on the road anymore, and there's a reason for that. Think "Chevy Vega".

My first new car was an 85 Turbo, loved it. Lots of fun, did most things well except for the dramatic torque-steer somewhat. Then I got a 90 Shelby VNT (turbo/intercooled) Daytona, and it was much more car and they'd tamed the steer. But neither was a keeper, and I have to imagine that today those cars would be considered rusty crapwagons. I never see them on the road anymore, and there's a reason for that. Think "Chevy Vega".

The Vega engine was lucky to run 20K before it burned so much oil you could not drive it. GM replaced the original aluminum block with an iron one, but that over taxed the front suspension and the car handled like crap. And as noted they were also rust buckets that fell apart.

Dave

The Vega engine was lucky to run 20K before it burned so much oil you could not drive it. GM replaced the original aluminum block with an iron one, but that over taxed the front suspension and the car handled like crap. And as noted they were also rust buckets that fell apart.

Dave
Soooooo.......we're comparing which manufacturer's crapwagon was worse? :rofl:

Dave
One of my brothers was living in Texas and being a handy kinda guy, he discovered he could buy Chevy Vegas with bad engines for peanuts. He would pull the engine and have them sleeved. Had it all worked out with a local machine shop so it could be done cheap and fast. Since it was Texas, rust wasn't an issue.

He had 4 on the road almost all the time. His two kids had Vegas and he and his wife had one each. Usually at least one was in repair mode to move up into regular use as the need arose.

When the kids moved out, and he got a little older, he settled on newer cars that he didn't have to wrench on.

I had a pretty nice Shelby Charger once. I traded it straight across for a `69 Dart in the 90’s. The Dart had no engine and it is still one of the best trades I’ve ever made...

Well I wish I would not have clicked on this one. I entirely blocked out that my Mom had a front wheel drive charger of some type. I was probably 18 or 19. She lived a couple hours away and came over so I could service it and do a brake job.
I think I was traumatized. The horror..

Back