Anyone here knowledgeable in Construction?

mdh157

Reaction score
If so, can you tell me why my brand new garage has cracks in both sides right in the center in both the block and the concrete along the block? WTF. They put a footer down, I saw it and have pics of it so I don't understand what is going on.

Dave keeps asking me why I am always in a rotten mood, is is because of things like this.

First, I'm not a contractor but my father was a construction engineer and I've been around construction all my life. There are several reason this could happen but I'd guess the most likely causes would be a footer that wasn't level, ie. high spots or low spots were you're getting the cracks or the soil compaction under the footer wasn't strong enough to support the footer and block wall.

Did they pour the footer on excavated soil or did they tamp gravel and sand down prior to pouring the footer?

Hopefully someone with more experience can help you.

don't know for sure abt the soil at the time of pouring but I think it was prob poured on excavated soil. I sold a house worth a lot less than this and as of right now IMO much more structurally sound. You cannot fix these cracks in 5 minutes. It's basically symmetrical on both sides in the same place.

How thick was the footer and the pad? Sounds like they went bare minimum on it to save a buck?

i'm sure they did, think the footer was like 8 " or so but not sure. I'll have to look at the edge of the pad. I'm so mad right now I cannot even call him. Guess we will be in court.

There are many reasons it could do that. Might have Been His fault, Maybe the mix was wrong. Don't make him an advasary just yet. Also, how long did it set before they framed on it?

yes but now i am stuck with a house that is falling apart..........what will this look like a year from now? Prob be cracked all the way across. He is the general, it is his responsibility. I'd say abt a week from bricks to frame. the floor was poured afterward but from the pics i took during construction i'd say the pad may only be 1" thick, max of 2".

I'm gonna take a few pics in A LITTLE WHILE AND WILL PUT THEM ON.

It better not be less than 3”, I used to do concrete countertops that were an inch and a quarter thick and although very strong I wouldn’t park a car on it. I’m not saying the crack is not a bad thing, you should be upset but there’s a possibility that it may never get worse than it is now. Concrete takes 28 days to come to full cure, how long ago was it poured?

here is a pic of each side. the first pic is of the gar before they poured the floor so it looks like it is a few inches thick.....space from floor to bottom of frame is abt 5" so whatever the height of 1 course of block minus 5", that would be the pad thickness.
DSCN4572.JPG
DSCN4754.JPG
DSCN4756.JPG

If so, can you tell me why my brand new garage has cracks in both sides right in the center in both the block and the concrete along the block? WTF. They put a footer down, I saw it and have pics of it so I don't understand what is going on.

Dave keeps asking me why I am always in a rotten mood, is is because of things like this.
The footer either sank in the middle or on both ends. Depending on where you live, the trench should have been either 3 or four feet in depth, the footer itself a minimum of 16 inches thick with re-bar inserted. If the footer is showing above ground it would be quite a bit thicker. Hope you don't have a sink hole forming or a void in the soil where you placed the garage. Had the building code been followed this would have never happened so you may have a good case against the contractor. If it was built without a permit, which ensures compliance with the building code in your area, you haven't got a leg to stand on - that's your responsibility.

It better not be less than 3”, I used to do concrete countertops that were an inch and a quarter thick and although very strong I wouldn’t park a car on it. I’m not saying the crack is not a bad thing, you should be upset but there’s a possibility that it may never get worse than it is now. Concrete takes 28 days to come to full cure, how long ago was it poured?
it was poured the first week of august. Matt, we have only parked a car on the garage two night since moving in Col Day weekend.

DSCN4525.JPG
The footer either sank in the middle or on both ends. Depending on where you live, the trench should have been either 3 or four feet in depth, the footer itself a minimum of 16 inches thick with re-bar inserted. If the footer is showing above ground it would be quite a bit thicker. Hope you don't have a sink hole forming or a void in the soil where you placed the garage. Had the building code been followed this would have never happened so you may have a good case against the contractor. If it was built without a permit, which ensures compliance with the building code in your area, you haven't got a leg to stand on - that's your responsibility.
I am sure there is no sinkhole or anything of that nature. This pic shows the supports for the center and they are 8-10" thick, all of it is showing on the top of the ground. I have no idea how deep the footers are or if they have rebar in them. This project was fully permitted and inspected at several points along the way incl right after the footers were poured. One thing is that the block was placed starting 2 days after the footers were poured.

If I was certain it would never worsen I would not even be upset about it, but being brand new it concerns me.

Mark I wouldn’t worry about that, the crack is at the end of that sawcut which is right where it should be. The concrete gripped that block, cracked where it should have if it were going to and split that block in the process. I guarantee it’s done moving but Keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Mark I wouldn’t worry about that, the crack is at the end of that sawcut which is right where it should be. The concrete gripped that block, cracked where it should have if it were going to and spit that block in the process. I guarantee it’s done moving but Keep an eye on it.
Man, I hope so. I will prob call him Monday anyway and see what he says. You guys know my nerves are shot, right? If it cracks with no car in it how will it do with a C sitting on it?

here is a pic of each side. the first pic is of the gar before they poured the floor so it looks like it is a few inches thick.....space from floor to bottom of frame is abt 5" so whatever the height of 1 course of block minus 5", that would be the pad thickness.View attachment 148172 View attachment 148170 View attachment 148171

2in 7/8th...block height 7 in 7/8 390cm metric

should be min 4 in

why l dont do concrete...looks like some settling going on
concrete takes 28 days to cure....spray and keep it moist for those 28 days you will double strength of pad,foundation,walkway ect

Back