Anyone know about washing machines?

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Like most of us here I know how to troubleshoot, I do it everyday repairing cars. What I am after is some knowledge on how to test this washing machine.

It's a Kenmore series 500, model # 11025132410. It wont fill with water. Here is what I have done so far. It has water at the water valve, the screens aren't plugged. I checked and it has 110v at the control board, but no power at the solenoid on the water valve when it should be filling. I am leaning towards the control board but don't want to just guess, it's $133.00.

I thought about putting power on the water valve solenoid to make sure they work but I don't know if it's 110v or something else lower from the board.
I checked with a parts house tech line and they were no help, I think they are only in selling parts.
If anyone works on appliances or has some knowledge I am open to suggestions

Thanks, Scott

I had the same problem with a Fisher-Paykel (NEVER AGAIN will I own one), anyway I think you're on the right track with the control board, prevents the solenoid from functioning. I'd go with this.......

20181006_185252.jpg

Scotty, Big John has the place...Ive used them for a whole slew of parts and knowledge. It sounds to me like the solenoid is shot. IIRC, ohm it out. My fill valve would overfill mine and I ohmed it out and it was way high. I purchased a new OEM fill valve and voila! Worked like a charm.

Parts | Ships Today at RepairClinic.com

I vote for "the timer mechanism". It orchestrates the various actions of the individual parts of the mechanism. Mother had an older washer. I put some clothes in it to wash, then went to sleep. I awoke about 2am and heard water running, like the washer was filling for the rinse. I discovered otherwise when I stepped into the room where the washer was (about 3" lower than the rest of the house). The timer was stuck on "fill". Beating on the timer didn't help, nor did trying to turn off the faucet to the washer! I finally got it stopped and got the water drained to the outside and vacuumed up. Replaced it with one of the newer ones that goes through "whirrs" and "careful spins" before it does anything. Takes 1 hour per load, rather than 30 minutes! But at least I got one with a real agitator in it!

CBODY67

Scotty, Big John has the place...Ive used them for a whole slew of parts and knowledge. It sounds to me like the solenoid is shot. IIRC, ohm it out. My fill valve would overfill mine and I ohmed it out and it was way high. I purchased a new OEM fill valve and voila! Worked like a charm.

Parts | Ships Today at RepairClinic.com

Also check the back of the timer circuit board. The spade connector for the solenoid will sometimes get loose from repeated heating and cooling. They will also sometimes burn the wire off the spade connector.

Dave

Mental note only buy machines with minimal electronics and top load only

Had to replace a wigwag once, 30 years ago....

Yes, really, it's a washer part! lol...

Mental note only buy machines with minimal electronics and top load only
It's a top load and you would think it's pretty basic until you open it up and pow!!! Electronic board controlling even the most basic functions:(
Both sites that Big_John, Mario and HWYCRZR recommended have given me a couple of ideas.
One I never thought of is the door switch, the one site say's that it wont fill is the lid is open. I am going to start there. Thanks guy's for all the help

Back