Anyone know autolite 1100 carbs?

Knebel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to help a neighbor with her car (non mopar lol). Shes got an issue with the carb, she got starnded because she was out of gas, we put some gas in and started the thing up. Engine was cold. It ran for a couple minutes and then started to act up like a cylinder wasnt firing and rpms went up and down in idle. It ran VERY rough. It smelled realy rich tho. And i smell like i lit up a ton of fireworks....
I opened the choke to see if it was simply too rich but that didnt seem to make a difference. Putting my hand over the carb to block off some air just made it die.
It didnt matter if it was in park or drive, she says it was running just fine and is doing this randomly!? I couldnt test too much on the side of the road but we eventually got it pushed home...what an adventure haha. Oh one more thing, if you try to start it without choke, it wont start, only if you push the gas a couple of times to squirt in some gas. Wouldnt that mean its too lean?

Easy one....
When it ran out of gas, it sucked up the crap at the bottom of the tank into the fuel lines.

yep basics, I'd change the fuel filter, should be where the fuel line enters the carb on that 6 cyl ford.

Ahh... well...good one! She had also told me that her stupid neighbors had siphoned the gas out of her tank by cutting the line underneath the car and draining it... ill check the fuel filter. Its a 65 or 66 ford..... it runs very rough anyways, I think there might be more but we mainly wanna get it going so that it wont stall.

Edit: apperantly she had someone come and adjust her carb, lets see if that did it because i thought it might have been a little rich and simply dies..... it also sounded like it was knocking.

Ahh... well...good one! She had also told me that her stupid neighbors had siphoned the gas out of her tank by cutting the line underneath the car and draining it... ill check the fuel filter. Its a 65 or 66 ford..... it runs very rough anyways, I think there might be more but we mainly wanna get it going so that it wont stall.

Edit: apperantly she had someone come and adjust her carb, lets see if that did it because i thought it might have been a little rich and simply dies..... it also sounded like it was knocking.

I hope she's cute or cooks real good, that sounds a bit like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Those adjustment screws on the carb only change the idle mixture so I doubt it helped very much. If the cars body is in good condition you might be able to talk her into selling it to you for real cheap since it has some mechanical problems.

Those adjustment screws on the carb only change the idle mixture so I doubt it helped very much. If the cars body is in good condition you might be able to talk her into selling it to you for real cheap since it has some mechanical problems.

Lol... shes a lot older than me! Plus i am married...geeze you guys. The car has a lot of history and she had sold it, then after years and years, she found her actual car for sale and bought it back. Its in good shape but mechanically a little nightmare. I heared she wants to put a v8 in anyways but in the meantime tries to get it running. The neighbors are pretty horrible, constantly stealing gas and letting air out of her tires.

The Autolite 1100 is probably the worst carb Ford ever made. Many who have had it either switch to a Holley 1940. On top of things one had to know exactly what distributor you were running so you could get the correct 1100. Most likely her's is original and rebuilding one can be a shot in the dark. Oh, and others who didn't switch to Holley would put an adapter on and use an Autolite 2100.

Back