Anyone knowledgeable of metal finishes?

I'm in no way an expert but I did a quick search and came up with this. Apparently stainless can be anodized.

Anodizing of stainless steel

24520.jpg

okay maybe I have to add "diy on your balcony" lol. Regular steel no problem and I know that there is a stainless "blackener" however, i do t know if that gived a black oxide finish or what!?

I saw the torch methods already, not consistent enough and would give more of a color case hardened look!?

I understand you can color polished 304 SS with an immersion in a hot acid bath, but it's nothing that you can do at home.

But, if you are thinking about doing something with the trim on your old Mopar, I believe that is 430 Stainless. It's hard to tell exactly what the SS was used, but if a magnet sticks, it's definitely not 304 (or anything in the 300 series for that matter)

Try a member here....
Will at @bluefury361 is very knowledgeable about automotive metal finishes and has posted a few threads about metal finishes and restoration.

The part I have is 416r stainless. Its not automotive....

I have used a nickel kit from caswell plating but have to say that I am too OCD for a polished nickel finish. It looks awesome if you dont touch it lol. I'm torn if I should try a black nickel, since i want to preserve some sheen.

And yes, its actually a stainless handgun frame. On other forums I get answers like "bead blast it matte" "why do you want to do that?" "i like matte finishes better". Get 1 okay answer out of 10. Thank you detmatt, that site seems already very good!

Last edited:
Try a member here....
Will at @bluefury361 is very knowledgeable about automotive metal finishes and has posted a few threads about metal finishes and restoration.

I love the allusion of "the blue hue" in high quality chrome plating. Not many chrome shops can attain that level of plating. It's why I have been so loyal to Tri City Plating in Tenn.

It is even more difficult to attain with polished stainless trim, but can be done. I use a "master" polisher here in Birmingham Al that has been in the business for 40 + years.
Most of the trim for my 61 Fury has been done by him and carries that "blue" hue. I thought I was pretty good at metal finishing, but I bow to him.

He also repares both aluminum and stainless trim.

PM me and I'll hook you up. He ships.

Will, any update pictures available for your 61 Fury???

I'm planning to relocate the stub frame, body and sheet metal to another, more reliable shop early in January.
Then will be scouting a shop to rent in this area where I can reassemble him.
When stuff starts to happen y'all will the first to know.
My metal finisher is working on last of the trim. And I need to get together with dematt. He came across a good stash and a couple things I need.

OH....... I ordered the interior panels from SMS a year and a half ago. They've made several promise's to deliver but hasen't happened yet. Last promise was some time Jan. I've become the "squeaky wheel" there.

Back