Anyone knows what causes this on BFGs?

Knebel

Reaction score
I noticed this on my tires a while ago, anyone knows why part of the sidewall discolors like that? They are about 4 years old,all 4 do it, one on the rear i see some... "Cracking" already where the lighter and darker area meet. When they were new, after 3mo i had one tire replaced cause there was a credit card sized gap where the two areas meet all around the tire,like it was precisely cut!? I dont use any product on them, should I?

IMG_20180320_114619.jpg

IMG_20180320_114602.jpg

Garaged for 2, then covered for 1 1/2... Idk If they are repop. They dont have many miles on them, couple thousand maybe

Cracking on the sidewall is never a good sign, usually means that there is a problem with the sidewall belts. Sidewalls take up most of the flexing when the tire is distorted from turning. If the tire construction is failing, the sidewall belt can start to "walk" which causes the rubber covering over the belts to get cracks from excessive movement.

Dave

there is a solution that motorhome guys use on their tires to keep them fresher looking from sun n weather . i guess it puts the juice by in them . he claimed it healed cracking , i think it just swelled the surface . rubber ain't rubber any more .

I think they are actually BFG. When I had the warranty claim on the first tire with the split in it they gave me fuzz about that its not an issue and not covered under warranty. They replaced it for free when I asked if they will be liable when this tire goes out going 55. I am just wondering, since they have low mileage on them, is this a concern/warranty worthy? And can I do something to get rid of the discoloration? The cracking is on the drivers side rear.

I think they are actually BFG. When I had the warranty claim on the first tire with the split in it they gave me fuzz about that its not an issue and not covered under warranty. They replaced it for free when I asked if they will be liable when this tire goes out going 55. I am just wondering, since they have low mileage on them, is this a concern/warranty worthy? And can I do something to get rid of the discoloration?

You have nothing to lose by asking.

Dave

there are no BFG Radial repops. They are still produced till today.
Since more than 30 years already.

They are radial tires and were not used on any real old cars

I use the Croftgate tire product
There’s no silicone in the dressing and it lasts a good long time on the tire

Why Tire Sidewalls Turn Brown and How to Prevent It

I've always used Westley's Blech-White to clean the tires. The company got sold and the product changed to some weak stuff that should be called Westley's Tire Piss, but I digress.

The Bleche-White and a scrub brush will remove the oxidation. Spray it on dry tires, scrub and rinse. It will take a couple times to get them really nice. Starting with a dry tire is the key (IMHO). It used to only take one application... Sigh...

Once you get them clean, then use the tire dressing of your choice. I really like the No Touch Original. Spray it on a dry tire and walk away. Cleans them and gives a nice natural sheen that is not shiny and looks just like a real clean tire and not like some fish can ricer's wet dream. That will keep them clean for a long time and unless you are doing something to make them filthy, it's all you will need to do from here on.

No Touch - Tire Dressing and Foam products

Not a great pic, I was concentrating on the wheel, but my BFG tires are a nice satin black. These are far from new tires.
tcjCTUj.jpg

Not a great pic, I was concentrating on the wheel, but my BFG tires are a nice satin black. These are far from new tires. View attachment 174912
Thank you! And very interesting, you can see the difference in the rubber in that Pic too! Yeah I actually have used the Bleach white before... even stripped the paint of the rims :wtf:

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it might have to do with atmospheric ozone?

IF a belt starts "shifting", you'll know it well before failure, by a shaking and/or steering wheel vibration which is "little' and then gets worse. Depending upon how many miles you drive from the time you first notice it. Or the car will appear to "pull" to one side of the other, needing steering wheel "correction" to make the car drive straight.

It's not unusual for the black to bleed into the white on the white letters or whitewall areas, around the edges.

The tires which Coker has with the BFG Radial T/A-type tread pattern are wider whitewall tires, not the rwl BFGs.

That color change is not really a "quality of workmanship" warrantiable issue, to me. If the tire store does warranty it, knowing that when THEY turn it in for warranty to BFG, they'll get dinged for it.

Tires are composed of several different rubber compounds, depending upon which part of the tire it is. I suspect that's what you're seeing, graphically, with the "brown" area. Different rubber compounds.

I'd say clean them up and put some "tire black" or other type of coating on them, Make them look nice. As long as they don't lose air, drive reasonably smooth (with good balance), and don't have any cracks between the tread ribs, then you'll probably not have any problems with them.

DO verify the production date of the tires! This will be an indication of "tire age". Anything approaching 6 years old should probably be replaced, no matter how much tread is on them. You can use them as "roll-around" tires, though, but NOT for use on the public streets or highways.

CBODY67

This problem has been going on with BFG's for decades. I installed BFG Euro T/A's on my '72 Fury wagon back in '94, and they did the same exact thing after a couple years and not all that many miles.

Jeff

Back