Anyone own a 73' Polara with fuel gauge issues? I need help!!!

moonrunner1972

Reaction score
:tiptoe:Greetings everyone, I am in desperate need of some advice regarding my 1973 Dodge Polara. Recently I have attemped to repair my inaccurate reading fuel gauge. I had already replaced the sending unit and had no change in performance. Since I have owned the car the gauge will never register over 3/4 when completely full.

Over this past weekend I dropped the dash & steering column to replace the original voltage limiter in hopes that this would solve the problem. Now the gauge doesn't work at all. When I checked the voltage at the wire that plugs on the stud on the sending unit I have 0.00 volts. I have racked my brain as to what I could have done wrong. In running through my mind I carefully replaced each connection using the schematic in my factory service manual but I am still at a loss.

I should mention that I used a Redline gauges new vltage limiter that eliminates the need for the condenser that mounts to the back of the instrument cluster. The new unit has two male prongs versus the three on the OEM piece. The temp gauge seems to work more accurately and the FUEL warning lamp illuminates when you first start the car but the gauge itself fails to register. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What about the aluminum ground strap going to the fuel sender from the fuel line, between the two fuel line clamps? If that circuit is not complete, the sender will not be grounded to the fuel line. It's kind of an insignificant-looking piece of aluminum strap which has contact tabs for the fuel line and the sender unit. You could probably use a length of wire to do the same thing.

Somewhere in the 1980s or so, Chrysler went to a solid-state voltage limiter. Seems like the last RWD New Yorkers (and similar) had them? Might be a better swap for the earlier points-style unit than an aftermarket unit?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

after market voltage limiter

:sSig_thankyou:I have recently installed an aftermarket solid state voltage limiter that seems to work great for the temperature gauge. recently I ran a jumper wire from the female connection that plugs on to the stud that protrudes from the sending unit and noted that the gauge needle went to the full mark. I deduced that the aftermarket sending unit I purchased 7 or so years ago did not work. I have recently purchased another unit plus a new grounding strap for an added measure. I only hope this solves the problem as I had to again push the car off to the side of the road. :icon_toilet:

There is a site called DTE which has a lot of helpful info on instrument gremlins and how to fix

Back